Talking BS about 114H reels.

Started by Keta, March 18, 2013, 05:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

His albacore must be larger than the one's I see caught.

"I have two 114h, great for halibut, but tuna blow them up every year it seems like."
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I don't see that being a problem with our 20-35lb albacore.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Talk is cheap, it  doesn't cost a thing ::). Might just be a representative  having a hard time moving the new crap...I mean reels. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Not a rep, just an opinionated person with no knowledge.  Here is my attempt to be polite with my reply,
"Then something is wrong with them, people have landed a lot of cow YFT on Penn 114Hs before 2 speed metal frame reels became popular. Our wimpy albacore can be landed with much smaller Jigmasters and I've done it with my ABU 5601C4 and tiny Penn Surfmaster 100s."

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Heck, world record fish have been landed with many black & red 114's long before the gold reels showed up & still continue to do it today.      Rudy

Dominick

I agree the guy is off in his analysis (we can't get in trouble with Alan if we think he is an idiot, we just can't call him one).  I take my stock 114H down to Baja all the time.  I have caught many striped Marlin in the 175lb range and numerous YFT in the 50-60lb range and the reel operates flawlessly.  Actually it is the ideal reel because one can cast live bait with it.  I would not hesitate to use it on 200lb tuna. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Two years ago I brought a shark to the boat with a jigmaster and 20# mono while fishing for stripers :-\. Caught that shark twice, first time the hook snapped. I estimated it at around 5 feet.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

he only needs an hour with the reel to gain a full appreciation for what it can do.  and do they blow up?  absolutely yes, if they are not serviced properly.  i'm certain he would change his mind if he had a reel that was properly greased up.  maybe we should send him one!

RowdyW

Quote from: alantani link=topic=6695.msg56970#msg56970 date=13636   maybe we should send him one!
/quote]Nah, its more fun to get a good laugh on him.

Keta

Mark Twain

saltydog

Well yes a reel that is improperly maintained will blow up but Ive caught some real monsters on my 114h and have never blown one up.And that was before carbon fiber and gold internationals.He could talk to a few Jewfish down in Floridia I have put boatside and ask there opinion,some in the 500+ catagory have been up to see me and my little red reel.The only thing different about it now is carbon fiber drags and ss double dogs with a ss gear sleeve and ss gears.Soon I hope to have an aluminum frame in red to complete the package.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

alantani

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 18, 2013, 05:13:44 PM
I agree the guy is off in his analysis (we can't get in trouble with Alan if we think he is an idiot, we just can't call him one).   Dominick

so true!   ;D

Joel.B

what does "blow them up" even mean?

I have seen them twist/crack/bind - is that a blow-up? 

Mexican Pangueros were not big on service and maintenance when I first started them on rod/reel vs hand-lining..... I saw a bunch of handles shear the sleeve, clickers left on and they melted down, gears get mushed, pinions slots get wallowed out....never really saw anything i'd call a "blow-up"   

this was mostly on 4/o 6/0, sometimes there were 100+ fish days per set-up, fishing commercial for Yellowtail and YFT

The first "Tank" 4/0 I made is down there now with stainless sleeve, stock gears, smoothdrags......the guy maintains it once a week and reports that it is still "Mexcellent" after thousands of sturdy fish and a few YT and YFT that went 50+......a few BSB and grouper well over 100#