Newbie.....Getting started and need advice on tools, lubes, cleaners, etc...

Started by EL JEFE, March 19, 2013, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL JEFE

Hello all-
Been reading lots around here....there's just so much for a newbie!

I fish primarily So Cal lakes and want to learn how to take care of my reels and service them myself.  I also want to learn how to tie flies, but that's another topic!  Caught a nice 5lb striper and 2lb LMB on Saturday with a fly so I'm motivated to say the least!! ;D

So, what I have gathered, after reading many posts, is the following below.  I was hoping you guys would add to my list of things to have in my man cave workshop to service my reels.

My reels for immediate servicing....Penn 320 GTi and 320 GT2.  These are level winds so I'm sure it take a little more work and study.  So, advice on these reels, (I'll also read the write ups), is appreciated.

After these, a 400TE, Shimano an Abu Toro 50, and various spinning reels (Okuma, Shimano, Abu, Bass Pro brand, and a few others).

Tools needed:
Basic hand tools
small electric screwdriver
compressor
??
??

Supplies:

1.  Carbontex washers
2.  Cal's grease
3.  Corrosion X
4.  Yamaha blue marine grease
5.  what type of parts cleaner to soak/clean reels parts (plastic, SS, and other metals)????
6.  ????etc....

Parts supplies:
mysticparts.com
bocabearings.com
????
???

And whatever else I may need

Thanks!!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

EL JEFE

Ummmmmmm.......how did I miss the post right above mine?????

Well sorry to replicate the advice needed, but I so appreciate the input all the same!
Thanks!

EL JEFE

ummmm.....don't know how I missed ak555's post on just what I'm asking!!

Oh well, I appreciate the assistance all the same.
Thanks

Bryan Young

The 320s are fairly simple.  If these are your go to reels, I would also recommend extra idler gears (#64-320).  These are the gears that connect between your spool and your line winder that is intended to break should your finger or anything gets caught between the line guide and the frame...in fact, I wish I had a few right now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

EL JEFE

the extra idler gears are good for spares, not to add to reel as an "extra gear" during maintenance, correct?

would mysticparts.com have these?

They are my reels to use when I troll larger plugs (Z-Plugs) using 27# leadcore.  Freshwater lake...trolling for stripers!

I also am in need of a smaller level wind reel for use when I strip troll with flies...using 15# leadcore.  A friend recommended the Shimano TR200G or Penn 310 for this purpose.  Is the TR200G comparable to the Penn 310 levelwind?  differences?
Thanks

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"