113H HAD DIFFERENT SIZED BEARINGS AND SPOOL SHAFTS?

Started by Joel.B, March 19, 2013, 08:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

Oops, caps-lock sorry

Put together older maroon 113h with new JVariance spool/frame, mucho slop back and forth in spool. I take calipers and measure ends of shaft where it rides in bearing and Jvariance shaft is about a hair skinnier than the original

No what do I do?

Bryan Young

I would contact JVariance.  maybe you have a defective part.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Quote from: Joel.B on March 19, 2013, 08:31:48 PM
Oops, caps-lock sorry

Put together older maroon 113h with new JVariance spool/frame, mucho slop back and forth in spool. I take calipers and measure ends of shaft where it rides in bearing and Jvariance shaft is about a hair skinnier than the original

No what do I do?
Is the slop fore & aft or side to side? If side to side did you adjust the left bearing?

Joel.B

side to side mostly, and I did run the cap on left plate as far in as it would go

Bryan Young

In that case you may need to shim the bearing between the cap and the bearing. The shim OD should be the same OD as the bearing  with the ID larger than the OD of the bearing's inner race.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

If the left bearing is turned in all the way then maybe the right side of the spool has to be shimmed to the left. Are you sure the left bearing is turned all the way in, there might be a little burr on the threads. Oil the bearing & try to turn a little more. This might be a dumb question on my part but check to see if the right bearing fell out. Jeff from JVariance sells a quality product & I know he will help you out if you can't figure it out. This really has me puzzled as I have built a half a dozen & they all were a perfect fit.   Rudy

RowdyW

Joel another thought, are you using your original plates? If so there is probably a lot of wear on the right bearing if someone tried to use the left bearing adjustment for casting drag. One way is to change the bearing or drop a little spacer into the bearing where the spool shaft enters. I've used tiny snips from a soda or beer can.