Trinidad 30 DC:

Started by Joker, March 19, 2013, 08:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker

Good day all

I just acquired a second hand TN 30DC and took it for a cast. Wow. That's all I can say. It's in perfect working order.

The digital technology sure works wonders. My first Shimano is the Torium 30 so this is quite a step up :)

I used the Tor30 for sharks, skates and other big fish from the shore. Here in Cape Town, South Africa, we need to wade and often the reel get dunked.

Now the question.

Is it ok to take the Tn DC for a swim?

Just wondering if I'll do damage to the "electronics".

Thanks in advance.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

johndtuttle

Yes, you will in all likelihood destroy the reel if you take it for a swim. Conventional reels are not remotely waterproof and even typically have "drain holes" to allow for drying of the inevitable water that gets inside. I perfectly prepared conventional can survive a dunk, and then immediate and complete service afterwards, but I would be extraordinarily surprised if the Trinidad DC survived.

best regards

Jeri

Hi Joker,

The field induction coils on the DC, are coated by the factory with some form of 'resin' or 'varnish', which I should think they are using to protect the reel for occassional 'whetting'. Full immersion for long periods, while 'wading', is likely to find any weakness in that factory system, and then the rot will set in, and you will lose the magnetic control on your reel.

Take the Torium wading, it is less valuable, save the DC for shore work.

Hope that helps.

Jeri

Joker

Thanks for the replies guys.

That just confirms my suspicion.
Will keep it away from the "swimming". The Tor30 will be utilized for my "swimming" reel.
Thanks again. You input is appreciated.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

CapeFish

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 19, 2013, 09:06:16 PM
Yes, you will in all likelihood destroy the reel if you take it for a swim. Conventional reels are not remotely waterproof and even typically have "drain holes" to allow for drying of the inevitable water that gets inside. I perfectly prepared conventional can survive a dunk, and then immediate and complete service afterwards, but I would be extraordinarily surprised if the Trinidad DC survived.

best regards

Don't worry, if you service them properly conventional reels swim very well. Shimano 20/40s are particularly good at it, they swim very well, they can take a crazy beating. The Shimano and Daiwa metal frame reels all swim well as well, but have heard that the new Saltiga leverdrag doesn't like it a lot.

I just grease up the non spool bearings and soak the reel in freshwater afterwards and then re-oil the spool bearings,

Joker, I don't own a DC but have heard wading is not a problem with it. Saw guys at Macassar the other day wading with DC reels. Probably not the right reel to stand on the reefs the hole day, but some wading should be cool.

Joker

Hey Capefish

Thanks for the reply.

I will not use the DC on the reefs :) No ways bud.

I just needed some advice on the durability of the ÐC's swimming ability. I now have an idea.

So, its Tor30 for wading and DC30 for shore casting. Or maybe some mountain fishing.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing