Vinegar...????

Started by qcguy4198, January 03, 2010, 11:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcguy4198

Alan,
I don't even own a 209, but I enjoy your posts so much,that I look at everything you post regarding Penns. Reading over your excellent Penn 209 tutorial, I see your recommendation to soak the reel overnight in vinegar, then run through the dishwasher a couple of times. Would you mind elaborating a bit on the purpose of the vinegar ?
Thanks,
Don

akfish

The white vinegar will get rid of the corrosion -- the ugly  green stuff on your reel because you don't rinse it in freshwater after every fishing trip. You rarely need to soak it overnight. Salt-X does the same thing with less odor.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

hopefully that will not be necessary.  i had one reel that came in almost totally green!!!!!!!!!!  and if you're married, or want to stay married, definitely do not put your fishing reels in the dishwasher.  your wife will have a fit!   ;D ;D ;D

something that i've found works well is clr calcium lime rust remover containing phosphoric acid.  you can just brush it on, let it soak for a few hours, then hose it off.  i also have an ultrasonic cleaner that works well if the reel is already in pieces.  this actually creates just as many problems as it solves.  when you remove the green, you are left with pits in the chrome.  you have to add some grease or spray it down with corrosion x or the pitted areas will immediately corrode again.  you're fighting a losing cause.  that's why stainless steel parts (grade 308 or better) are so important.  imagine if the early model senators were all made with stainless steel parts?  they would still look good enough that it would actually be worthwhile bringing these old reels back into service.  instead, they are all pitted and green.  so sad....... :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jadu

Nice post   ::) If you are interested you can visit the www.leelaelectronics.in   and browse many ultrasonic cleaners. Not just ultra sonic gun cleaners but you will find many types of ultrasonic cleaners like table top cleaners , larger ultrasonic & other applications