5:1 Ratio 316 SUS Gear Set For JigMaster 500/501

Started by Black Pearl, March 19, 2013, 11:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdown

Alan, When you get them in please put me down for 1 set. Thanks! 8)

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wascallywabit

Black Pearl

Here is an updated.

Sal tested the latest gear set in the 112H, and it did not do good, but it did really good in the Jigmaster 500/501. So, this 5:1 gear set will NOT work in the Senator 112H.

However, I am going to make few main gear in 4:1 ratio (as same as the main gear uses in the 112H or Jigmaster) in stainless steel. It will work with original 4:1 pinion gear by PENN.

Sal, can you post the test result on the 5:1 gear set, please?

Thanks,
--Alan

Greenroom

Soooo, does this mean we can p.m. you for our orders?

wascallywabit

Quote from: Black Pearl on May 22, 2014, 02:15:44 AM
Here is an updated.

Sal tested the latest gear set in the 112H, and it did not do good, but it did really good in the Jigmaster 500/501. So, this 5:1 gear set will NOT work in the Senator 112H.

However, I am going to make few main gear in 4:1 ratio (as same as the main gear uses in the 112H or Jigmaster) in stainless steel. It will work with original 4:1 pinion gear by PENN.

Sal, can you post the test result on the 5:1 gear set, please?

Thanks,
--Alan

Works for me. Actually, I would prefer the 4:1 gear for my 112h. But I've got two jigmasters and the 112h sitting here with all the available upgrades just waiting for a set of SS gears so I can complete this project. (getting antsy I guess).

All due respect to Sal and Alan, I know they've put in a lot of time and effort to try and make this thing work, and I appreciate that. But there is simply no way I'm going to push these reels to 20lbs. of drag in a normal every day fishing situation. More like 10-12 lbs. tops. If I need 15-20 lbs., I've got reels for that.

Again, thanks for the effort guys, but you've already exceeded my expectations.

Ed

Alto Mare

Yes you're right Ed, there are reels out there that will get you to 20lb, this isn't for everyone. The Jigmaster was already a nice reel , it is now a much better reel. I personally like what we've done very much.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I have to agree with this. In fact, I's say these are still fine in the 112H under reasonable drag levels. I have seen several references of the new 112HN Tib kit being called the White Sea Bass special. I caught my first WSB about 30 years ago and have hooked into many, many fish since then. They are an absolute blast to katch but they do not require 25#s of drag. I have caught lots of legal fish with a Mitchel 300 and a size 4 hook! They do however, like to run at you and that means you need to get line in fast. For the WSB application when fighting WSB I'd say the 5:1 gear ratio is more important than mamoth drag numbers.

Well done to all.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

I just built a 112H with original steel main gear and Bryan's 5 stack washers. I got the .5mm drag washers from Dawn. I was out of that material.

The little reel pulled 28 lbs. of smooth drag. I was truly amazed. I have 2 sets of the eBay SS gear sets but I don't think they will hold up so I didn't use them.

It's for a customer that loves these little reels and I might have to get one myself to prove to my Avet loving son what they will do..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Black Pearl

Quote from: Marcq on July 17, 2014, 05:27:21 PM
Hey Alan,

I'll take 1 set please.

Marc..

Hi Marc,

This gear set kit will fit Jigmaster only. The gear set kit will be ready by end of this month.

Thanks,
--Alan

Marcq

fIsHsTiiCkS

bigcatpat

Born to roam the riverbanks.