California Tackle Sabre Update

Started by SoCalAngler, March 20, 2013, 05:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I swung by Calstar to drop off a rod for repair, man I love their lifetime warranty, so I brought the Sabre alone for the ride. As I was being helped by a very nice lady named Pat I asked if she happened to be Leon's wife and she said that she was. I told her about my Sabre and asked if anybody could give me any info about the rod and perhaps some sort of time line of when it was built. Pat said she would be able to help and wanted to see the rod also. When I get the rod out of my car and bring it into the office Pat gets a big smile on her face and says that she had not seen one of these rods in a long time. Pat asks what I wanted to know about the rod and I said I thought it may have been rewrapped because of the wrapping looked so good and she assured me that it was not. Then I asked the rods approximate age and she said "If you have time I'd like to show the rod to someone else" and I said sure. We walk through the main building to a back building, through a door and right inside is Leon working on a rod. I introduce myself and Pat shows Leon the rod and he also says that he has not seen one in a very long time and was shocked in how good of shape the rod is in. Long story short I find out the rod is in fact bone stock but the rod is not just a Sabre it is a Super Sabre. The blank number on the side 5010 and I was told the 5000 series were the Super Sabre's. The rod has a Varmac reel seat, which I knew because the name is on it and the first style of Fuji guides with inserts. I was told the blanks were made from around 1974 thru 1982. If I can find out when Fuji came out with these guides I may be able to narrow down the age a little more.

I had met John Todd (Pat and Leon's son) at the Fred Hall Show and he was the one that told me to bring the rod by the factory as he would like to see it. He was not there when I brought it by but hopefully he'll be their when I pick up my other rod.

I always supported Calstar because of the quality of their equipment and the feel of their rods. It is nice to know that not only to they make great gear but the company is owned by two of the nicest people you will ever meet, Pat and Leon Todd.

Ron Jones

I actually have 2 Super Sabers. Benefit of growing up in So Cal in the 70s-80s. My kids will fight over most of my geat when I kick the bucket but their are a few pieces I would like to take with me. I'm sure you understand that these rods are part of my kicking the bucket kit.

Really pretty rod you have their.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

john2244

SCAngler,

Thanks for the post on the Sabre rod.  Very nice rod !!!  I have 3 old Sabres I use with various old Penn reels.  Your question about the time-line is interesting.  All 3 of my rods were made by California Tackle Company.  Two were made in Carson and my  Chocolate ST666C was made in Gardena.  This rod is in new condition, much like your rod.  Do you know the time-line of when rods were made at these different locations.  Also, where do you live??  I live in San Clemente.

John

SoCalAngler

John,

The rod did not look like this when I got it but with some clean-up it came out very well. I was even shocked that it was so nice under the light corrosion and gunk/dust after sitting in someones garage for what looked like 30 years untouched.

I think you PM'ed me a while back when there was some talk on the boards about rail rods, was that you? With the avatar pics now gone from Alan's site it is kind of hard to remember who is who. I have to reload one. Any way I live in north Orange County Califorina, hence the name SoCalAngler.

As far as when your rods may have been built I don't have a clue, sorry. You may want to contact Pat as she seemed to be a wealth of info. Not only did she show my rod to Leon but also a co-worker (did not catch his name) that also worked with them since the Carson days. They open early and close by 2:30 pm PST, so if you do call them make sure it is before 2:30.

john2244

WCFLA

SoCalAngler,

That is awesome that you were able to gain some insight on your Sabre's history. I would love to do the same for mine.

Regards,
Dan

AJ

I have an old Sabre Stroker made in Carson, CA.  Does any body know when the Gardena/Carson city move was made and which came first?
Robb

David Hall

Same rod with same blank number just landed in my hands this morning.  Sabre logo is different and the reel seat is Fuji, I think it's a newer model probably more in the 80's.  I did not know that Sabre and Calstar were or are the same company?  I just knew when I picked it up and started looking closely at it that it was very well made and has held up well?
Glad you posted this.

SoCalAngler

David,

California Tackle and Calstar are not the same company. Leon Todd designed many of the blanks manufactured by CT where he built/over saw their production of the line that was sold. I did not ask Leon about this but he was also involved with Roddy Rods in their early years I believe.

Calstar started several year after CT went out of business and California Tackle sold the Sabre name to Penn, where the quality of the rods dropped off sharply IMO. Leon started Calstar something like 6-8 years after CT closed it's doors.

Two different companies where the rods were built in two different locations using different machines but production overseen by Leon Todd and others at CT with him being the sole owner at Calstar.... Well maybe Pat has something to say about that? lol

MarkT

Quote from: noyb72 on March 20, 2013, 07:46:12 PM
I actually have 2 Super Sabers. Benefit of growing up in So Cal in the 70s-80s. My kids will fight over most of my geat when I kick the bucket but their are a few pieces I would like to take with me. I'm sure you understand that these rods are part of my kicking the bucket kit.

Really pretty rod you have their.
Ron

My younger son told me that he's inheriting my fishing gear but I told him I'm getting a really big coffin 'cuz I really can take it with me when I go!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Steve-O

Great write up and pics to go with it! Thanks for sharing with us.