What to do with a brand new reel before going fishing

Started by spottybastard, March 21, 2013, 12:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spottybastard

Alan and friends,

I have two brand new reels waiting to be spooled up and taken out.  One is a Penn Spinfisher V-3500 and the other is a Penn Fathom 15LW.

I guess a better way of asking is what is the standard procedure to do with a brand new reel?  I'm not only a spotty b******d but a cheap one too ,so I want these to last forever.

Keta

I can't help on the spinner but if your FTH15 is like my FTH25N all you need to do is spread a little grease on the inside metal parts and wax the spool.  The drags on my 25N were greased and the screws had a bit of grease on them....oh yea, you will need to put line on them and mount them on a rod too ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Penn has been doing a great job getting grease inside their reels recently but I would never blindly expect that a reel is fine on the inside without seeing for myself first.

You can take a look at a reelspeed video on the Fathom or use my Torque 25N tutorial (the designs are nearly identical) and take a look at the Spinfisher V tutorial on this site for a look at what all the issues are. There are a few spots here and there that need some additional grease and especially on the SpinfisherV you need to get some light oil in the line roller and keep it maintained or the bearing in there will seize very soon.

best regards

mccandrj

Anybody have an idea when Penn is going to get smart and start making Internationals for lefties? ;D

Bryan Young

Quote from: mccandrj on March 29, 2013, 08:44:22 PM
Anybody have an idea when Penn is going to get smart and start making Internationals for lefties? ;D
If people start hitting up the stores and sales reps at the shows, I'm sure they would take it into consideration if it was not a complete redesign.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D