Limited return of the 706Z???

Started by johndtuttle, March 21, 2013, 06:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Penn guys cryptically posting photos on their public forums:

Seems like the diehard surf guys might get their wish, a limited run of 706Zs???

best

surfcaster

Great reel i have one I really like mine. would like another
Just can't justify what people pay for them on ebay .
I'll buy at least 2 with the made in the usa stamp
  Semper Fi, Richie

Kyle K

You know, if Penn actually did do a reissue of one of the classics, I would buy one.  I probably wouldn't use it much, or maybe not at all, but I feel compelled to show support for the company and the workers in Philly when they do something like this for their traditional customer base.

surfcaster

Better yet  They should make all of them in philly again.

Cone

I saw a post somewhere that said the MSRP is going to be around 300.00. They are great reels but not at that price. Thats my opinion. Hopefully they will be made in the USA. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Kyle K

Yeah, $300 is a lot.  But that's what people are asking for nice used ones on ebay.  I hope they at least replenish their spare parts inventory while they're at it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Cone on March 22, 2013, 12:52:27 AM
I saw a post somewhere that said the MSRP is going to be around 300.00. They are great reels but not at that price. Thats my opinion. Hopefully they will be made in the USA. Bob

If they are the truly made in USA with Stainless/Marine Bronze gears and such they will be worth every penny.

Depends on just what upgrades they give it (ie instant AR and such) or if it is truly retro.

best

surfcaster

Penn can keep them at 300. so can Ebay.

johndtuttle

Confirmed return of 704Z and 706Z and Made in USA.

"PENN Fishing":

Progress continues at the PENN factory....704/706Z are being brought back due to popular demand. No changes will be made to the design of the reels....we want to have complete consistency between new and old reels so that parts interchange. More details to follow next week.

Alto Mare

That's a beautiful thing, I don't believe there are many that would consider that.
Thanks for the report John ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 29, 2013, 04:02:55 PM
That's a beautiful thing, I don't believe there are many that would consider that.
Thanks for the report John ;)

Apparently they were getting requests from Kayak fisherman for these uber simple and un-killable reels. They don't want to spend much as there is such risk of loss in a dump launching/landing through the waves, but need something that will not be instantly killed by a dunk.

best, john

Bryan Young

Thanks for the update.  I swear I have one of those...where is it?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

That second pic is of a TiN coated gear hob cutting a gear in an oil bath, if anyone is interested.

Alto Mare

Do you have one of those Doc? ;D. If you do I'm coming over, I would just love to see it in action.
Isn't that a nice ss pinion?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.