Help Needed, Part # for Pinion Bearing on Mag 525

Started by Hook um, March 22, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook um

Unfortunately the Pinion Bearing itself does not appear on any schematic that I have looked through.

Have called Penn and they said it is part of the frame($44+). I know someone out there has run into this issue and has found the part number. Been searching the Web, but they want the number before the order can be placed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Fish-aholic

Hook um

Thanks, Been searching off and on for a few weeks! This bearing was compressed with the inter raceway and the last thing I am replacing. It did not effect casting, but sounded like grinding metal upon retrive. Hope this helps others...

doradoben

You can look up your part on the parts list & schematic for your reel at mysticparts.com which is Scott's. They will have whatever is available for most any Penn reel..  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hook um

The Ebay part is listed as an upgraded Pinion Bearing for Mag 525, the photo seems to be the correct part. What hurts the most is shipping from the UK is double($13.94 USD) the cost of the part($6.93 USD).

I am still trying to source USA, any other options accepted ???

UK Ron

Hi, I keep these bearings in stock.
PM me your address and I will get one in the post to you.

Ron.

arrowhawk

Quote from: UK Ron on March 23, 2013, 10:26:58 PM
Hi, I keep these bearings in stock.
PM me your address and I will get one in the post to you.

Ron.
I tried to replace the bearing and was told by penn that the bearing was pressed in and was part of the frame.
Ron can you post the measurement you have for this bearing?

Hook um

What I found was the measurements of the pinion Bearing were .3125 X .4688 X .0938 inch. (open/no shield) (inner Diameter X outer Diameter X width)

I ran across ibsco.com and listed a part # SL 1280 (.3125 X .4724 X .0984 or mm 8 X 12 x 2.5) @ $25. each

Also bocobearings.com had a metric one listed as part # SMR 128X {open + dry (8 X 12 x 2.5)} @ $8.95 each (plus many others depending on your needs).

And EBay also had many metric bearings listed but most from Asia (be careful of craftsmanship issues).

Took me about two weeks searching the web to find this information!!!

By the way they just tap right out from the outside into the spool...