Tekota 800

Started by Snagged2, March 24, 2013, 05:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

How much spin time on freespool can be expected on these big levelwind reels?? 

Bryan Young

On the shimanos, it's not very much because of their method of their level wind mechanism. I think I average 5-10 seconds on their reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Snagged2

Hey Bryan,
Thanks,,
This particular reel isn't getting that much!!
I can't seem to get the line guide to move even halfway across the guide with a good spin on the empty spool.

Tile

The levelwind reels that have fixed spindle are notorious for poor freespool performance because the spool shaft is being slowed down by the friction with the pinion gear. The fixed spindle design is the norm on larger sized levelwind reels. The floating spool design offers better frespool performance because there is no friction with the pinion gear.
Clean and lubricate the spool bearings and the levelwind assembly with light oil. This might improve freespool performance.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Snagged2

Quote from: Tile on March 24, 2013, 09:59:13 PM
The levelwind reels that have fixed spindle are notorious for poor freespool performance because the spool shaft is being slowed down by the friction with the pinion gear. The fixed spindle design is the norm on larger sized levelwind reels. The floating spool design offers better frespool performance because there is no friction with the pinion gear.
Clean and lubricate the spool bearings and the levelwind assembly with light oil. This might improve freespool performance.

Thank You,, had gone through the reel,, clean, lube, actually a new left side spool bearing,

I tried using some 6000 grit polishing cloth on the spindle and, that seemed to help  ,, also, insured all grease was out of the pinion bore,, and off of the spool axle,, and, after readdressing those issues, I can get a full left to right and slight return of the line guide with a good spin on the spool!!!
I'm going to call it good!!!