Abu Garcia 7000 reels

Started by SharkboyEI, March 24, 2013, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkboyEI

I am thinking about getting a abu Garcia reel in the 7000 series range and I was wondering what the difference of them is. What is the difference between the pro rocket, the 7000i c3, and the 7000i? I am looking to use it for catfishing, carp, maybe small sharks, drum etc.

Thanks

Snagged2

The current variations,, 7000 CS, iC3, and,i,,

The CS and iC3 feature a 3 stack of carbon drags,, only needing the upgrade to carbon under the main gear.

Stainless Steel Spool bearings,, and, I believe a Titanium Nitride coated line guide..

the i model has a 5 stack of some standard type of drag material, and bronze bushings on the spool axle.

The CS (Rocket) and the iC3 are basically identical mechanically, except for some different colored parts.

The clickers, levelwind, and spool release/engage parts are the same on all three!!!

Zinox

The newer 7000i version comes with Abu´s carbonmatrix drags.

But Dawn should have carbon washers for the older 7000i "5 stack" in stock now, i just ordered some for mine :)

tpilk

The 7000C reels are an absolute pleasure to own and fish with. They are incredibly versatile, and cast like a dream. Both of mine are about 25 years old and just recently upgraded to Carbontex drag washers. The only feedback I would give is that even with the carbontex washers, you are still limited in your drag capacity. Given the products available today...you can get 2 to 3 times the drag pressure, for less money, in a smaller reel with similar line capacity. I love my 7000C's, but shop around a bit first. One reel I really like is the Penn Fathom star drags. I have the FTH12, FTH25N and the FTH15LW. The level-wind was a pleasant surprise. I have caught quite a few large fish on it and it's truly a pleasure to fish with. It might be more of an "apples to apples" comparisome if you like the level-wind feature on the 7000 series. All of these Penns will go to 27lbs of drag, not that I need that much.

There are so many great reels on the market today that surpass the 7000 performance....shop around and read the reviews. Once again, I love my 7000C's.... in fact Alan just rebuilt one of them. That said, I just don't believe they can compete with the super-smooth and super-strong drags in these modern reels. Particulalry give their small sizes and huge line capacities.

Snagged2

Quote from: Zinox on March 25, 2013, 11:59:45 AM
The newer 7000i version comes with Abu´s carbonmatrix drags.

But Dawn should have carbon washers for the older 7000i "5 stack" in stock now, i just ordered some for mine :)

That's good news,, on the newer  "i" having the carbon drags..Have not run across one of those yet!! ... I convert the 5 stack non carbon "i" models to a three stack carbon drag w/ grease.. and of course the carbon washer under the main gear.

as far as the older "C3" models,, C's, B's, C3's etc,, they don't have the redundant AR or the drag capacity,, so, I haven't kept them in my fleet...