custom (DIY) handle grip?

Started by Mandelstam, March 24, 2013, 10:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Is it possible (for someone without a complete mechanic workshop) to switch out the original handle grip on a Penn for a custom made one? And if you can, how does one do it? For instance, can you use the Kolekar handle upgrade as a base and then change out the delrin grip for a custom one?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a piece of Lignum Vitae lying around that I want to use for something. Lignum Vitae is the hardest and densest of all trade woods and sinks in water. It is used for cogs and has been used on sailing ships for hundreds of years on thimbles, blocks, etc etc. It's also very beautiful and that's the reason I started thinking about making a personal and beautiful handle grip from it.

A few marlinspikes made from Lignum Vitae (pic from http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?72602-Fids&s=b38de58b2d9c80bd8a7ada1c78d4fefd&p=1704699#post1704699)

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

The simple answer is yes. The more complete answer is that it will be difficult to have a finished product worthy of that wood without machinist skills or equipment.

God luck.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

raumati01

It's a great idea as lignum vitae is also self lubricating -it was used as prop bearings in the early days of steam , do you have a woodlathe to turn it up into a shape like a kolekar handle?

Mandelstam

The piece I have already have the basic shape of a handle and is sanded and polished . It needs to be cut to length and get a little additional shaping but I think I can manage that with some good handtools and elbow grease. I remember when I sanded the piece the first time it took forever, that wood is soo fricking hard. It was like trying to shape a piece of stainless steal with a paper towel. But the satisfaction is all the greater when it's finished! And I don't mind if the piece isn't completely circular in cross section as you get with lathing, as long as the finish is silky smooth and nice to grip.

So, is the kolekar grip removable so you can switch it out? Is it screwed in place?

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

It is screwed in but the sleeve is not removable.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mandelstam

I'm sorry if I ask stupid questions, but  what do you mean by "sleeve"? I've just seen these handles on pictures and never handled one.

Thanks for your help!

/Karl