Penn Fathom 30 - Gear reduction?

Started by Tuffecs, March 26, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuffecs

Anyone know if the Fathom 30 gear ratio can be reduced from it's current 6:1 to less than 5?  If so, what parts do I need and where can I order them from?  Is there a tutorial to make the change?

I use the reel for deep drop fishing, and I'm hoping the gear reduction will make the cranks easier.

Bryan Young

It's probably easier to get a longer handle arm as I haven't heard of any gear swaps for this reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Penn has officially floated polls in their various forums asking people what gear lower gear rations they might be interested in. No word yet on what ratio they may provide as an "versa gear" set for the Fathom but at least it shows they are officially considering it.

They already provide lower gear sets for the Torque Star Drag so it is not impossible to consider, but no final decision has been made public yet.

best

Tuffecs

Ok, will wait and see about a new gear set.  For now, I'll use a longer handle.  Thanks

SoCalAngler

A little birdie, or should I say a big wig, at Penn is hinting for me to keep a eye out in the new Penn catalog which comes out in July at the ICAST show for a possible lower gear option for the Fathom 25N, which should fit all the Fathom's I think. If they do come out with one that fits the 25N it will fit in the smaller reels for sure but I'm not 100% sure it will fit the 30's and 40's as of yet since I don't own one of the larger reels. With a versa-gear option for the Fathom line it will make it hard for people to over look this reel when comparing them with other cast reels. Just like the versa-gears has made the Torque line very hard to pass by when looking at machined aluminum reels. I had stated in another post I though maybe Penn may announce this at ICAST and now I feel much better about it. Don't get me wrong I was not told that they will, only I was hinted in this direction, we will have to wait and see.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 30, 2013, 01:26:23 PM
A little birdie, or should I say a big wig, at Penn is hinting for me to keep a eye out in the new Penn catalog which comes out in July at the ICAST show for a possible lower gear option for the Fathom 25N, which should fit all the Fathom's I think. If they do come out with one that fits the 25N it will fit in the smaller reels for sure but I'm not 100% sure it will fit the 30's and 40's as of yet since I don't own one of the larger reels. With a versa-gear option for the Fathom line it will make it hard for people to over look this reel when comparing them with other cast reels. Just like the versa-gears has made the Torque line very hard to pass by when looking at machined aluminum reels. I had stated in another post I though maybe Penn may announce this at ICAST and now I feel much better about it. Don't get me wrong I was not told that they will, only I was hinted in this direction, we will have to wait and see.

So Cal, the 25N, 30, AND 40 are the same reel in different widths. Similar to the Torium 16, 20 and 30. I hope they come out with the gear sets as I am the owner of a 25N and a 30 and am really looking forward to having the options. Let's keep our fingers crossed.