custom painted fighting belt

Started by hafnor, March 27, 2013, 05:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

I just got a sevenseas belt from a friend and I wanted to make it a little special. The original belt was in a sharp yellow semishine finnish. I went by a car painting shop and got a lot of tips from them and all the products I needed. ;D

1. I started sanding it down, used 400 grit and then 800 to get a firm matt surface for the paint to stick. this took so many hours you wouldn't imagine. haha, although a fearly easy material to work with there are a lot of "hard to get to" places on that belt, between cracks etc.

2. Then I prepped for painting and I used alchohol cleaner to get a dust free and clean surface.

3. once completely dry I started adding three thin layers of a plastic sticking black base, this mas mixed with a bonding agent for plastic parts. 10min between layers

4. I did 2 layers of a covering black matt colour 10min between layer

5. after 30mins. I added the "sparckle 3D effect" which is mixed with a very thin clear coat. did 3 thin layers here also 10min inbetween

6. I used a gold alcohol pen to do the writing on each side "TFT" for Thunder Fishing Team, and "T.H" for my name Thor Hafnor

7. After 30min I "sealed" it of with a clearcoat varnish, (from Audi). I was told by the guys at the paint shop that this was a superb high quality clearcoat made to resist gravel dirt and rocks on plastic bumpers on cars ie. Good enough (I hope) for a little rod use. Now it has been sitting for 2hours and the whole thing is "dry" but needs to sit two days to be fully cured and rock hard.

have to say that this is alot more work than it looks, haha. especially the attention to detail in the sanding process and a lot of waiting time, but A lot of fun and the results is truly amazing IMO.

Probably not gonna catch any more fish but... have to fish with style  ::)

ps. some may find the colour choosing a little tacky but I like a little 80's disco fever

Bryan Young

Wow, that's slick.  Can I send you my fighting belts? ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hafnor

haha, Bryan you can do this yourself :) not very hard, just takes time and unfourtanetly a bit costly. :)

Dominick

Great job.  I really like the way it looks.  Hang in there the winter is almost over.  Dominick ;)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Lookin good,now you will fish with some style.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

That turned out nice. If anyone asks you can say its a championship belt.  ;) Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

SoCalAngler

Looks great and with double beer holders to boot!

willybendit

yup the Pad looks the Business alright  all you need now is the leopard skin belt   LOL  tight lines Alain