senator 4/0

Started by bigtoy83, March 27, 2013, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtoy83

I have a Senator 4/0 that i found that sat for like 60 years, so after tearing it apart and cleaning all the petrified grease it looks brand new. My question is that all the info i can find shows that the drags are 3 washers and this one only has 2, can i upgrade to a 3 or 5 washer?

Bryan Young

That is odd.  maybe someone messed with the reel in the past or manufacturing error.  You should be able to get a 5 stack in the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bigtoy83

I'm pretty sure this is the first time this reel has been apart i would upload a pic but i don't an option to do so.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I need to see that reel. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Your drag washers were out of order.

bigtoy83

i just laid them out but thats all that was in there

Keta

Sometime in the past someone put it together with 1 extra red washers and 2 extra wavy washers to make up for 1 too few fiber washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I believe there is a 5 stack Carbon Fiber washer set up for that reel.  And don't forget the CF drag washer under the main gear.  The brass washers are thinner than the stainless one if you can find them and I have yet seen a brass washer wear out (which opinions differ) especially if the drag washers are greased with a drag grease.

Norcal Pescador

Ditto what Bryan said. Also, if you use 6-60 drag washers (they're thinner versions of the 6-113 washers), you may be able to make a 5-stack out of it with two more thin metal washers. Oh yeah, if one keyed brass washer is thicker than the other(s), that should go on top.

Good luck.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

You're right Bigtoy, that reel looks brand new. If the drag washers that you're showing are double in thickness than the brass, than yes, it is very possible that originally that reel only had two drags.
My buddies are right, you could get 5 drag stack in that gear. If you're using the kit from Scott, you will only be able to have a 3 stack configuration, unless you find some thinner metal washers.
I have 1+5 on mine (1 under the gear and 5 in the gear), I did use the stock metal washers, but I got the fiber washers from Dawn at Smoothdrags.com, those are.75mm in thickness and will work out just fine. If you are going with the 1+ 5 configuration, a stainless steel sleeve would be a good choice.
Nice reel, good luck with it. Let me know if you want to double dog that baby.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Nice reel and good advice from good people. Fix it up and enjoy it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

You can get all of the parts from PennParts, including the SS gear sleeve.  It will have a prefix of AT (for AlanTani).

RowdyW

Hi Bigtoy, use 4-60 fiber washer under the main gear, 5 of 6-60 drag washers, 1 more 7-60 earred washer, & 1 more 86-60 keyed washer & you will have more drag power then when the reel was new. That all will fit with no alterations like it was factory installed. If in the future you want to hot rod the reel there are a lot of other options but you will have all the drag power that reel can handle. Don't forget to grease the drag washers with Cal's drag grease.      Rudy