New Penn Forum Organization?

Started by BogueSounder, March 27, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogueSounder

Folks,
First, this is written in a very friendly tone with nothing but the upmost respect for what all the mod's and Alan do for the site. I know you all put much effort into running the site...and I love this site. It is one of my favorite go to's. I am admittedly a longtime lurker, and have made no contributions to the site's collective knowledge. So, it would stand that I have no voice in how things on the site are done. I agree with that.

However, I'm confused why Penn was separated out into multiple forums for reel type / class. I clearly get the actual organization scheme and the idea behind it, but in practice it seems to make things more difficult for the user and for the mod's. I suspect the mod's will now have to constantly sort and replace threads placed in the general tutorial forum that really belong in say, the Senator forum. I want you guys to spend your time showing me your amazing upgrades, not sorting threads  ;D  And as a user, I know have to read through multiple Penn forums when I just want to see all that was posted today about any-and-all Penn reels.

Is there some logistical issue that required the move?  Was it simply to make it easier to search if you were only an International guy, or a Squidder guy? Isn't that what the search forum function is for? And, I learn much about my reels from other's reels that I don't even own.

Again, nothing but admiration and respect in my tone. I often open my mouth when I shouldn't...I know you have put a lot of effort into sorting the threads. I will love the site no matter how it is arranged, I am just curious about why the change? Whoa, I wrote a book...will be quiet for now.

Many thanks,
Mark

Bryan Young

Mark, I am offended...nah, just kidding.

If our search feature was "desireable", I would have left it, but unfortunatley, it's not.  This was a way to help quickly locate information based on the reel...and having 47+ pages of only Penn, it was very difficult to find something.  The Mods suggested this method, and as this is theirs as much as it is yours (even as a lurker), we though we'd give it a try before we move all manufacturing boards in the same direction.

If it doesn't work, well, we are always looking for suggestions.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: BogueSounder on March 27, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

Again, nothing but admiration and respect in my tone. I often open my mouth when I shouldn't...I know you have put a lot of effort into sorting the threads. I will love the site no matter how it is arranged, I am just curious about why the change? Whoa, I wrote a book...will be quiet for now.

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark.  Constrictive criticism helps make things better.  Once we get the bugs worked out and the old stuff moved, a few of us have a few hours into it now, things will be better.  If you have any more suggestions feel free to let us know.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

... know have to read through multiple Penn forums when I just want to see all that was posted today about any-and-all Penn reels...

On the front page, scroll down. There is a link down near the bottom, called view most recent posts on the forum Click it.

I find this a far more effective method, since there are so many new posts daily on so many boards with some overlap.

(although not everyone uses it- which is why there are sometimes multiple threads of similar subject matter at the same time)

Bryan Young

Yeah, we have to merge or delete common posts.  That's always a hard one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BogueSounder

Doc, thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

If I have any organizational ideas I will float them. Seems no small task. Usually I just have questions...ha

Many thanks.
Mark

Norcal Pescador

Folks,
.... So, it would stand that I have no voice in how things on the site are done. I agree with that.

...... I suspect the mod's will now have to constantly sort and replace threads placed in the general tutorial forum that really belong in say, the Senator forum. I want you guys to spend your time showing me your amazing upgrades, not sorting threads  ;D  

...... I know you have put a lot of effort into sorting the threads. .......will be quiet for now.

Many thanks,
Mark

Mark,
Thank you for expressing your concerns. All forum members have that right and we welcome it.

Sorting threads is something that we do at some time or another. There is not as much sorting to be done when members place their posts on the most appropriate board in the first place. I'm not chastizing any one here. Posting in less than the best place is just something that happens. I admit, this forum has a lot of boards and it can be daunting just to look at it, and some may be limited in the amount of time they can spend on the forum.

Being a moderator is not being the smartest reel repair guy (or gal). A moderator is one who helps Alan maintain the standards that he sets. The mods are all interested in the betterment of the forum. All of the moderators stepped up when asked and I've enjoyed my time as a mod. Speaking for myself, I'm not a reel wizard (pun intended). Of all the mods, I probably have the least experience and/or design skills. Some mods are in the reel repair business and some have chosen it as their "second job".

Again, don't apologize for speaking up. ...... Now look who's written a book.  ::)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Joel.B

Running and organizing- moderating any forum is hard and thankless. A forum like this that is more of a sacred reference than anything- well I believe these men are doing the work of a higher power. I understand most of the moderators here are fully employed with jobs and stuff, doing the best they can here...

I actually think a forum for each of the more popular style of penn is a good idea. Previously finding info in the master forum was pretty tough sometimes. As is true allover the web- none of these "easy template" style forums have a decent search function- you have to google-search + alantani.com to find anything relevant.

I told Alan on the phone he could run a few ads here-  He could generate a few bucks to pay a "tech-kid" to do some of the heavy lifting and streamline the thing if he wanted to. I understand why he is hesitant- the magic would be gone and he'd have more potential headaches collectin and paying moneys......  Heck- I am pretty broke- but this place is priceless to me, I'd gladly contribute a $100 or so a year, or raffle some extra gear to generate some moneys if it helped make this place easier to run for you guys who should be spending their time doing more pictorial essays and tutorials - modding reels instead of trying to organize a free forum.

Clem

I would be more than happy to contribute to a site like this, it is special...some great minds here and just plain good people. I really like the layout and the fact that 30 odd adds are not flashing before my eyes every other minute... :)

BogueSounder

I agree with many of the sentiments, and am getting used to the reorganization. Now I just spend more time on the site!

BTW: I did send Alan a check one time with "Gift - website support" in the notes field. It was only ten or so bucks cause I'm a cheap and broke you know what...and in all fairness, he did ship me a free squidder sideplate  ;D  The man is awesome! Many thanks Alan and all mod's / contributors for the forum.

Mark

alantani

in my defense, i had nothing to do with this!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

yeah, the guys pulled this on off while i was on vacation.  i think they did a great job!  it makes no difference to me because i go though every post on my own anyway.  the problem with this software is that the search functions are very weak.  it's hard to ask for more because the software is free. dividing it up like this will make it easier to just plow through a section if you can't find what you want on a specific search.  my thanks to all the moderators for their hard work.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: BogueSounder on March 28, 2013, 11:29:21 PM
I agree with many of the sentiments, and am getting used to the reorganization. Now I just spend more time on the site!

BTW: I did send Alan a check one time with "Gift - website support" in the notes field. It was only ten or so bucks cause I'm a cheap and broke you know what...and in all fairness, he did ship me a free squidder sideplate  ;D  The man is awesome! Many thanks Alan and all mod's / contributors for the forum.

Mark

thanks! and you're welcomed!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris

I like the new Penn organisation because it is - um... organised. But then I was too dumb to notice the button about 'show new threads'.
I'll still look through them all though 'cos I love all the nifty little mods you guys make!
Chris

BMITCH

Chris, I'm with you. I find I look at mods and tutorials on reels I don't even own. This is giving a more complete view of how others design a reel. This is an educated consumer at that point. To say the viewing these threads has influenced my purchases is an understatement. I know I have many reels that would have been put to rest had it not been for the folks on this board.forever greatful for others sharing their knowledge.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.