Is it worth getting a ss gear set for a pro gear 545?

Started by raumati01, March 28, 2013, 05:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raumati01

Seeing that they are now available through this board is it worth getting a set? Or are the standard gears already well built?

wolvie

I chewed up my original (brass?) gear on some big pollock and just installed a ss set, so I think it is worth it.  They cast well, hold up well and are relatively light and compact.  Most parts are the same as a 113h, so I put in ss gear sleeve and dog as well.  Other opinions may vary . . .

Bryan Young

Definitely along with SS gear sleeves and SS dogs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

raumati01

Bryan Young

Sorry, I missed this post. No, I have yet to double dog my PG545. I had a couple of extra reels that I was going to do it on, but my friends wanted a 545 and sold them the reel instead. I only have 3 545s and one is my daughter's and the other is my son's. so unless I find a couple more, I will be touching mine anytime soon.
I'm a little chicken to mill out my sideplate without a spare handy.  My brother said that he'd help me mill out the sideplate, but he just got a new girlfriend, and you know what happens to his free time.

It should be very similar to what everyone is doing with their 113Hs out there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Bryan,

Am I correct in thinking the purple 545 belongs to your daughter and the black 545 belongs to your son???
John

Bryan Young

That is right John.  My daughter's set is a purple 251 and 545 and my son is a black 255 and 545.

I was looking for a gold set for my wife, but gave up because she likes the level winds, so need to chane up plans.

raumati01

Thanks for that, I'm looking forward to getting this reel ready for next summer.