eccentric jack binding on 113h

Started by wolvie, March 29, 2013, 05:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvie

I have 2 113h's and as I was upgrading to ss main gear, sleeve dog and pinion yoke on both, but ran into a problem with the eccentric jack on one.  It was not sliding the yoke up and down as it should, but pushing hard on it perpendicular to the spool axis.  Comparing the 2 eccentric jacks, I noticed that on one of them the "tabs" were at a greater angle than the other.  I installed the one with the slightly less sharp angle and it worked fine.  I had also positioned the yoke so tabs encountered the rounded edges instead of the more sharp edges,  which might have helped a bit.  I noticed that using the old brass yoke also worked better than the stainless steel yoke and is a tiny bit thinner at 1.15mm instead of 1.2 for the ss.

So should I "ease" the edges of the the ss yoke a bit more or bend the tabs down on the uncooperative eccentric jack?  Or something else?

PS I notice the 113h/114h short version puts the pinion yoke in differently than reel schematic, but that does not seem to have any effect on the binding issue in my case.  (I tried both ways.)

Bryan Young

I will file the yoke at an angle so the yoke slides smoother when the eccentric tabs are pushed against the yoke.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

VW

I always bevel the corner/edge of the yoke that the jack tabs work against.  Feels smoother, less effort.  One could try to match the angle of the tabs.  I just go with approx. 45 degree. It does not require much width on the bevel to make a difference.

Lay the two jacks side by side.  If there is a significant difference in the height of the tabs, the higher/problem jack may be moving the yoke as far as it can move, and then be very tight or actually binding. To correct you would have to bend the tabs.  I would do it with a vise.  Both can be bent the same amount at the same time.  Whatever method you choose, they may crack/break.

One could also remove material from the tips of the tabs to make a height adjustment.

wolvie

Hi,

I think I will bevel the yoke a bit where the tabs come in.  The height is not a problem, but the angle seems to be. 

Thanks.