Texas Crappie Run

Started by saltydog, March 30, 2013, 04:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Well for all of you living in Texas the crappie run has begun on lake Texhoma , almost limited out Fiday (our limit on this lake is 37 per day) . Another week of warm weather and they will be on the beds . All of them were caught on a 1/16 oz. jighead and my homemade crappie slug in glow orange matched to a 5' ultalight rod and a Zebco spincast with 8# floro.

And from Wed.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

thats gd stuff salty,esp; on your own jigs.

saltydog

I will get a tutorial on how to make them soon.Goin back out Mon. hope to catch a few more.
MacArthur

wallacewt

saltydog

Well it's Mon. and the crappie have really turned on in the shallows.Got a limit of those tasty fish in about four hours and guess whats for dinner.

MacArthur

Cone

Way to go Salty. I grew up fishing fresh water and salt water. I enjoy the spring. Fish on the beds. Crappie and bluegill make for fine eating! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

HOLEINTHEWATER

NICE FISH. ME AND A BUDDY CLEAN AROUND 100 CRAPPIE ONE TIME. I DON'T THINK I CLEAN ANOTHER FISH FOR YEARS. GOT A ELECTRIC FILLET KNIFE KNOW. NOT TO BAD.

BMITCH

Is that a hell of a lotta rods and reels in that picture under the cover there? Very impressive.
luck is the residue of design.

saltydog

Yes with those smaller fish an electric knife is the only way to go,I own 3.I like your rod storage.
MacArthur

HOLEINTHEWATER

THERE IS MANY DIFFERENT WAYS AND FISH TO CHASE AT POWELL AND I HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING THAT FLOROCARBON AND DON'T WANT TO RETIE. WE CAN CARRY 24 POLES IN THE RACK.

BMITCH

24 plus rods 3 guys in the pictures. 8+ rods each. That's about right. My wife is always amazed at how many outfits I carry for a day of fishing. Then I remind her of her shoes.lol.
luck is the residue of design.

saltydog

Ah yes the shoe thing and remember all those handbags,skirts, blouses,and all that jewelry.
MacArthur

Bill B

Now that's a load of crappie  ;D.....wish I was there....too hot here in Sac to fish today....had to stay indoors...I must be gettin old...just thinking about the September heat during dove season has me thinking twice...but then I every year I end up in Brawley with 120 degrees...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

This year around here has been different to say the least .
March rains in May, Crappie spawning from late Feb. till the end of May. And it hasn't broke the 100 mark yet this year or even got close. But we still have a long summer ahead of us. And now it is time to go to the coast and get those Reds, trout and sharks.
William
MacArthur