Penn 850ss

Started by orsteelheadduck, March 30, 2013, 04:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orsteelheadduck

Hello all,

I have a question I know some of you Penn guys can help me with. I have the opportunity to pick up a like new 850ss from a buddy of mine with a spare spool, as he doesn't have a use for it. My hesitation is I am not sure that I have a use for it either, is this reel overkill for Pacific Northwest Albacore tuna in the 20-40lb range? The next question is what would be a fair price as he wants me to make and offer. Thanks for all the great info on this site, really starting to get hooked on breaking my reels open. Thanks again :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: orsteelheadduck on March 30, 2013, 04:33:51 PM
Hello all,

I have a question I know some of you Penn guys can help me with. I have the opportunity to pick up a like new 850ss from a buddy of mine with a spare spool, as he doesn't have a use for it. My hesitation is I am not sure that I have a use for it either, is this reel overkill for Pacific Northwest Albacore tuna in the 20-40lb range? The next question is what would be a fair price as he wants me to make and offer. Thanks for all the great info on this site, really starting to get hooked on breaking my reels open. Thanks again :)

It's a little more capacity than strictly required but will be great for throwing swimbaits and small iron after a hook up on the troll or casting anchovies if you are lucky enough to have them. Fill it with 60 lb solid and fish short 40-60lb leaders and have fun.

best

Alto Mare

You'll get away with it. If it does come with two spools a $100 offer is a fair. If later on you would like to double the drag capacity, we could help you do that.
Enjoy that reel, it will be your friend for a long time.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

orsteelheadduck

Thank you for the responses, I think i will want to know more about the drag increase for sure.  :)

Alto Mare

Look around, if you can't find it we'll help you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

orsteelheadduck

will do, thanks again.

Alto Mare

I'll make things a little easier, here you go:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6597.msg56103#msg56103

The 850ss is a 750ss with a larger rotor and spool, both have the same drags.

Good luck!

orsteelheadduck

Very cool, looks like I will be adding some CF sheets to my ever growing order from Dawn at smoothdrag. Thank you