Penn 210 - I have questions

Started by Joel.B, April 02, 2013, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

How many pounds of drag should it have?  What other  reels does it share parts with?   Is there a non levelwind equivalent? How castable are these things?  I dont see many of these around- were there problems?

Can these gears be put into other reels?

Keta

The main gear is a 5-500, the same as a jigmaster, they can be cast as well as any other LW Penn.  I have one I used as my heavy salmon reel in alaska and never had problems with it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

The 210 is a great reel. It is essentially a Jigmaster 500 (same gears and drag) but with a level wind and ball bearings on the spool. It's no longer made and some parts are getting hard to find; for example, the bridge. The level wind, posts, rings and clicker assembly are the same as the 209.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

figure 3-5 pounds of drag for a good working range.  they are not hard to service.  if you find one, go through it first.  you can cross reference parts at mysticparts.com with other penn reels like the 209.  some parts will remian in stock, others not.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joel.B

Thanks guys

I went through this one I have for sale- not mine - but I found it to be a very neat little reel.  I like the size and it seems to be a bit beefier than 209. 

Feels smoother and tighter than 209 as well- I dunno why

Joel.B

More questions- does a jigmaster sleeve work on a 210? 

akfish

Almost on subject. A guy came by the shop and said he had two red Penn 210s. Has anyone ver seen a red 210? I've seen lots of black ones but never a red one...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

BogueSounder

Never seen a red 210  ??? I wonder if he added 1 to a 209?

Mark

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Joel.B

Can I stuff 5:1 gears in there on a stainless sleeve/dog, and jig for shallow rockfish, bass, cabrilla......? 

whats the weakness of these things?  The levelwind/worm/gears.....?

VW

Quote from: Joel.B on April 19, 2013, 04:03:21 AM
Can I stuff 5:1 gears in there on a stainless sleeve/dog, and jig for shallow rockfish, bass, cabrilla......? 

whats the weakness of these things?  The levelwind/worm/gears.....?

The 210 shares many parts with the 209.  It uses the 500 main gear, but the pinion gear is from the 140.  No gear switching options.  It does have more drag surface area than a 209.  I do not view that as being able to substantially increase drag pressure, but as holding up better under prolonged fights.  I use one with a SS sleeve and 20-25 lb. line for heavy catfishing.  I have used it for Northern/Musky fishing with large lures.  Have not caught any large enough to really test it yet.  I'm sure it will hold up well though.

I will not use a level wind reel in saltwater, but I know many do.  I view the 210 as a fairly heavy duty freshwater reel.

Ron Jones

Slight bit of necro posting but I have one of these coming in and have some ideas. First, has anyone gotten rid of the level wind on this reel? I have a 320GTi that I worked over acording to Alan's tutorial and love it, I am intending to do the same here but am not sure if I will be able to keep the front bar in place.

Second, is the 140 pinion stainless? I would think it would have to be but am not sure. I am planning on running a steel 500 main with a hex insert and stainless sleeve as long as the pinion can handle it.

Next, does the stand have holes for a clamp?

Finally, does the 210 with an aluminum spool have a large gap between the spool and side ring the same as the 500? If so I'll probably run straight 30# mono but I's like to run heavier braid and use this as boat reel for ulua and shark.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"