New toy by Cal Sheets

Started by thunnus69, April 03, 2013, 02:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

Just got my Penn LT back from Cal.  He tricked it out for me:  Super 12 with larger drag, bearing sleeve, and 2 speed.  I added a new handle, Tiburon topless frame.  It free spools like a dream.  The rod I have it mounted on is almost complete.  I spiral wrapped the rod (Seeker Inshore) and used a basic sparkler pattern of metalic red and gold on the butt wrap from "teh book" (the photo sucks, need to work on this).  Only a couple more guides and she'll be ready in time for Stripers off Block Island.

bluefish69

Did you use one of Billy Varona's Books for the wrap?
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

thunnus69

That's "teh" joke.  When I see or reference Billy I make fun of his typing.  He always mistypes the word "the".  He turned me on to a lot of new techniques in rod building and I own him a lot.  The Plano box sitting below the rod is one of those techniques for pulling 4 to 6 strings at once.  The man is a wonder and freak of nature. ;D

bluefish69

If you remember his Butt wraps he did the Wrench Inlays for me. I work in Sheephead Bay.

kamuwela

wallacewt

cmon kamu, thats not the hawaiian way  ;D

alantani

you know, he's got a point.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

Those Block Island cows don't stand a chance. Nice setup. Good luck!
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

I would place it in the center of my custom cabinet, so I could look at it as I relax. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thunnus69

Thanks for the compliments.  Cal double dogged it so she's gonna be fished.  I'll enjoy looking at this reel in the rod holder on the way out. 

Bluefish69 I don't remember the rod you're referring to and haven't been back to Billy's shop since he got wiped out by the storm.  Here's another rod I finally finished last summer with the same reel mounted on it.
Grateful Dead theme with an "Uncle Sam" weave.

bluefish69

I have to say your doing really nice work on the rods.

reelgood

So this reel is in case you hook a 175# tuna while striper fishing?   ;D

thunnus69

Reel Good-
Cal assured me it could do just that. ;)   I have to hand it to Cals2Speed,  every time I called (at least half a dozen times) I actually got to speak with Cal who walked me through the ins and outs of reel design/modifications to best match my type of fishing.  As a rod builder I can appreciate the details.  The guy has a lot of wisdom.  The kind of guy you just learn more from by keeping your mouth shut and listening.  I had a similar experience with Capt. Al Anderson whom I fished with last summer aboard his 40' Custom Carolina.  He was inducted in the IGFA Hall of Fame just after I fished with him and man was he full of wisdom.  I didn't reel in a single fish that trip.  Instead, I chose to stay in the cockpit and just listened to him for hours.