salt-x

Started by fastfishin85, April 03, 2013, 04:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfishin85

Hello to all fellow fish fanatics.Im new to this forum but have been coming here for a while and finally signed up.Im not sure if his has been asked before but has anyone ever tried the salt-x product you spray on your reels after fishing them.Im just curious if this stuff works.Any feedback would be much appreciated,thanx.

kamuwela

welcome to alans place. i always use fresh water then wd40 but thats me. i have seen various products like salt away any thing is better then nothing. good luck and thank you for joining.

alantani

i never use it, but it's probably ok.  one thing for sure, it is not a substitute for going through your reel first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Salt-x and salt-away are great products to dissolve salt. I haven't used it on reels though, only boats. And I always rinse it off anyway. This doesn't replace preventative mentainence though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I have used Dawn and water in a spray bottle for 20 years after fishing each day and no issues yet but I did start to use a solution of Salt X that I mix from a large concentrate bottle into a spray bottle. I have used it for about 5 months and I wash my rods and reels thoroughly with it and let them air dry. It appears to do a very good job.
When I repair a reel that is in bad shape I mix the salt X solution in a small container and just drop the reel in for a soak. It removes all of the past green looking corrosion deposits. The reels really clean up easy after a good soak.

SoCalAngler

I did use for a few years on my reels and it worked fine followed by a rinse of freshwater. Plain fresh or soapy water works just as good IMO. Now the Salt-X is only used for the boat washdown and flushing the outboard motors when they are used in the saltwater.

fastfishin85

thanx everyone for your input,i do regular maintenance to all my reels,yamaha grease,packed non spool bearings,open spool bearings cleaned and oiled,etc.the way alan does his,i just was curious about this product as an extra measure in keeping that pesky saltwater out of my reels.thanx again everyone.