Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

hi alto mare
have you any idea what a safe drag pressure
is for these reels.650/9500.
not sure if this has been covered before
cheers

Alto Mare

Wallace, the 650ss has a max drag of 10lb, the 750ss 12lb and the 9500ss 15lb.
In my opinion these are all underrated by a couple of pounds each.
If you're doing the ss upgrades, you could add 5 additional pounds on all with no issues. again, my opinion.
With the new hex washers, I'm getting 22lb on the 750ss and the knob is not crazy tight.
Lee also did a test on his and he confirmed the 22lb.
You already know what these reels look like on the inside, the ss is a good reel to upgrade ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

What I was originally asking about was say on a 112H, I have a 112H with Alan T. SS sleeve, I believe Accurate 5:1 gears and looks like plenty of room to have a larger AR area on the SS sleeve. Wouldn't that give you a larger drag surface under the main gear? Couldn't there also be more teeth on the AR portion of the sleeve? The dogs(double) would have to be shortened/modified. Someone else may have already posted about this. I'm not sure.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I was confused when I replied the first time, a larger AR "gear" part of the gear sleeve would increase drag. Short 309 AR dogs (112H) can be cut, stock ones modified. 

My machinist friend said 2 hours for making a custom gear sleeve....his shop time is $50.00 per hour.  I could probably talk him into "donating" one but at $200 ea I can't see doing it.  I might for my 112HN but it's a lot to ask.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

If you're doing it to minimize handle play, go for it. If you're doing to get more drags, don't waste your time.
The fiber washer keeps everything nice and smooth at that area, but unfortunately it doesn't give additional drag.
This is what I got from my tests.
Some of you might have different results, if you do, please share.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I gotta get one of those rachets for my 750SS
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2013, 04:47:34 PM
The fiber washer keeps everything nice and smooth at that area, but unfortunately it doesn't give additional drag.

Doubling the OD might make a difference but it's not worth bothering the machinist or paying him $200 to do it.  He said he would do it but I could tell he was just saying that because we are friends.  His boss mentioned that they might make one or 2 at work but things are tight there now.

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 05, 2013, 04:53:24 PM
I gotta get one of those rachets for my 750SS

In a few days I might know where some can be found.  I took a 750 apart this morning and now see how it works....I even put it back together right the first time.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

We already found a way to get more drags, we now need to concentrate on other things . Lee, your cutter is doing some nice work, is he able to make us some ss jacks? We already have the yokes. we need to make that reel all ss on the inside. ;)

Keta

Jacks will require a stamping die and $$$ unless someone can figure out another way to make them. I have one for the 113H drawn up now. There is a manufacture in KF that can do it but they will want top $ for making a set of dies.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Sorry Bob for going off topic, too late to start new on this one ;D.

Lee, do they have to be stamped? I thought the water cutter could do most of the job for us, all we would need to do is to punch the tabs out :-\
Do you think he could make us a couple with 4 sots as I'm showing? I would love to give it a shot.
The material is only 1/16", what do you think.

Keta

I'll have 1 cut and we will see.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2013, 12:17:27 AM
Sorry Bob for going off topic, too late to start new on this one ;D.

Lee, do they have to be stamped? I thought the water cutter could do most of the job for us, all we would need to do is to punch the tabs out :-\
Do you think he could make us a couple with 4 sots as I'm showing?
Sal, how about 6 slots? I think it would be easier bending out the tabs like original then trying to bend the middle of the slot & pulling the surrounding material on the ends of a double ended tab.

Alto Mare

Rudy, if this doesn't work we could give that a shot. I rather have two cuts, but might have to go as you mentioned.
I'm thinking if we use a block of aluminum (scrap) and create a grove of the same size and a punch shaped the same , we might be able to do it by hand. Lee knows more than me about metal, so I'll wait and see what he has to say.

Keta

I can have Bob or Bill cut me the forming parts out of steel and I have a 20T press in the barn.  After cutting the very small spring hole in the spinner dogs I think slots will work.  I'll try to get this started but the spinner parts are taking more time than I thought....especialy when the cutter used the wrong material.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

No harry on these, just trying to keep you entertained ;D