SS sleeve

Started by BMITCH, April 04, 2013, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

I thought I recently read that there may be a larger dia. With more teeth sleeve available? I'm not sure who or where it was posted on this forum, but I thought I saw it. If so anyone have any information on this upgrade? Larger cf under the gear means more drag...right? And if so what models?

Thanks,bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

at the moment, the SS gear sleeve are built to similar specifications as Penn's.

the CF washer doesn't necessarily add drag pressure, but ensure smooth drag operation because the fiber washer has been prone to intermentent binding even though the rest of the drag stack composes of CF washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The gear ID is fixed so if the gear sleeve OD is larger you loose contact surface.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Lee, I need to wrap my head around that one. Is it due to the first washer on the inside stack is a cf? As you can plainly see I'm not any kind of engineer.

franky

Quote from: BMITCH on April 04, 2013, 06:06:10 PM
I thought I recently read that there may be a larger dia. With more teeth sleeve available? I'm not sure who or where it was posted on this forum, but I thought I saw it.

Thanks,bob

Hello bob,

I think you might be referring to the gear sleeve on a penn jigmaster.

I believe Alan might have the SS gear sleeve up-grades for the jigmaster reel.  

If you order it, you must let him know what kind of teeth pattern your original sleeve has so that he can make sure that the SS teeth pattern matches the threading pattern of your star.  

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on April 04, 2013, 07:15:05 PM
Lee, I need to wrap my head around that one. Is it due to the first washer on the inside stack is a cf? As you can plainly see I'm not any kind of engineer.

"Drag" is created by friction between the CF washer and the metal washers/gear.  The more surface area the more drag.  If you make the gear sleeve OD larger you reduce the surface area of the washers (their ID is larger) and have less contact and less drag.

If you are takling about the AR "gear" part see below.  Having that part larger but the "shaft" OD the same will not change the contact surface.

Quote from: franky on April 04, 2013, 08:47:27 PM

Hello bob,

I think you might be referring to the gear sleeve on a penn jigmaster.

I believe Alan might have the SS gear sleeve up-grades for the jigmaster reel.  

If you order it, you must let him know what kind of teeth pattern your original sleeve has so that he can make sure that the SS teeth pattern matches the threading pattern of your star.  

More teeth on the gear sleeve = less back travel on the handle.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I was talking about it with Alan, but I didn't think you were here...are you a mind reader Bob?  Are you one of the X-men?

Due to the OD of the rachet area on a Penn Gear Sleeve, we couldn't increase the number of teeth by very much to make it beneficial.  We'd just stick with the double dog alternate engagement method if you have a problem with the back play.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Oh my... :-\

I totally misread this post....

You're talking about the teeth at the bottom of the gear sleeve... ::)

Time to take a break... ;D

BMITCH

Bryan, that's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't really have a chance to put a caliper to the gear sleeve and that's only if the side cover will have enough clearance. As far as mind reading?? I don't think so, just talk to my wife.

Bob

Keta

I think a 8 or 10 tooth can be done, here's what I've done for 7500-9500 reels.

Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Nice work there Lee. A lot of effort went into that project ;)

Keta

I just draw up the parts, have them cut, clean and polish them.  The "reel" work has been done by Sal and Cone  ;D.  I need to put some parts in the spinner Sal gave me but Spinners scare me still  ::)

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, that 20 teeth ratchet is awesome, sounds really sweet.... you're the man ;)
Now lets get them in the right thickness, so I can get rid of those washers.
The ratchet fits like a glove, much better than Penn's ratchet, zero play. The handle has very little back movement.
I love it! Thanks Lee.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I have to look at the insides of your reel to see (I'll bite the bullet and dive into it tomorrow)  but do you think a shim washer under the shoulder screw would "cure" the material thickness issues on the dogs that were too thick?

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yes, that's how I did the others from Justin. You will need a nice size shim, what you see is just something I rigged-up to test the ratchet.
I will make these work, but material in the same thickness as the original would be best.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.