2012 Daiwa Catalina 5000 handle locked on

Started by milkman, April 05, 2013, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkman

Hi,
this may sound like a bit of a dumb problem to have - never had this before with any other spin reel (including Shimano and Okuma)

I have a brand new Catalina (thought I would give Daiwa's good gear a go - the technology sounds really adanced....
- I took it out once for a good fish (Deep water Jig/30lb +), and had it upto around max drag at times (say 14kg),

I now find that I can't take the handle off - ie. it seems to be locked on hard?  (right hand side) and I don't want to force the handle (by holding the rotor in place) too hard - incase I break/start stripping the gearing..  and I would be HUGELY grumpy if I did that...
The new Catalina is one where the handle "screws" ONTO the steam/main gear - ie. it is not part of the stem that goes through the reel..

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I got the reel, I had to change the handle (from left to right), and didn't change the little rubber washer (that was on the blank/plug side) across to the handle side- at the time - presumably this was just a seal...but who knows?

Are there any tricks to getting these Daiwa Handles off when stuck hard?  Never had this ever on any other reel?  and I don't want to break this expensive piece of kit......any help very much appreciated!!

thanks! :o

alantani

i looked and could not even find a schematic. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

In that case, I'd recommed that you send it in to Daiwa for servicing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

The new Catalina is one where the handle "screws" ONTO the steam/main gear - ie. it is not part of the stem that goes through the reel..

If i remember right its the same construction like Catalina 4500 and 6000
have a look to the schematics: http://daiwafishing.com.au/saltwater-spinning-reel-schematics/

Good Luck

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

milkman

Thanks everyone for their input,  just to close this off - effectively as it was a new reel, somehow will fishing the reel had tightened itself up (high drag setting).  The service people in the end told me to just put pressure of the handle (Backwards/lefty loosie) against the rotor - and it wouldn't break anything - and it worked, Great!  I would say with not a lot of Daiwa Spin Experience, ALWAYS lubricate the thread of the handle shaft & the Reel Handle Thread itself before tightening them up....I will probably start doing this on all my new reels from now onwards....a bit of a lesson here...

thanks