Penn 80STW International II service/tutorials?.

Started by trentless, April 06, 2013, 03:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentless

I didn't Find any topics regarding this particular International reel, but I'm sure I could have viewed 50 info for some answers.
A friend wanted me to see what could be done regarding drag start-up issues with this reel. He had it serviced but hates how it jumps when a BFT is on the hook. Would this be solely a drag issue or could it be a pinion bearing problem, or both? Are all 6 bearings typically replaced when serviced? 
I service reels, including his Penns, but have NEVER done any big BFT reels so I'm a little gun shy to even open this monster up. I assume it would be the same as most Penns, just bigger pieces.
Any advice/cautions would be greatly appreciated.

I blame Alan for this since he planted the seed that now has me obsessed with reel tinkering... :D

Thanks,
Trent.

kamuwela

yes they are almost identical to the smaller reels. the pinion bearing is normally the first to go. the answer to your bearing question no we dont change them all during normal service. the spool bearings sholud last alot longer then the rest. when a pinion bearing goes bad i change both the left and right side plate bearings. as for how it ramps up check the belleville configuration. the normal for those reels is (). clean and grease the good bearings since it is for trolling the grease will help protect for salt intrusion. to check the pinion bearing crank the reel and gradually increase the drag if it gets harder to crank as you increase it then thats a sign of a bad pinion bearing