Left-hand gears in right-hand reel??? 113h

Started by TomT, April 07, 2013, 04:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

I just went thru an ebay-purchased reel that my son bought over a year ago--Penn 113h.  Before I took it apart, I tried it and the handle would not turn.  As I tore it apart, I found some corrosion and some old VERY sticky grease.  Mechanically, I could not see any reason for it to be locked up.  I cleaned it up and lubed it properly and put it back together and it was still "locked up".  As I was playing with it, I had turned it around so the handle was on the left side and now it would work correctly.  The star drag had to be operated by tightening ccw. 
   Does this sound like someone has installed left-hand gears in a right-hand reel??
TomT

Dominick

Tom:  Does the reel have line on it?  If so which way is the spool turning.  It just may be a left hand reel or a left hand conversion.  If so and your son does not want it let me know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

I believe it must be a left hand conversion.  If you have the handle on the left side, if you crank forward, the reel retrieves line like a reel should.  The star drag operates in reverse of a "normal" reel.   If the handle is on the right side, to move the handle you must crank the handle backwards "toward' you.  If you do this the reels moves forward and would not reel in the line.  With the handle on the right side, the drag star operates and tightens in the normal "expected" way.  I brought the reels to Baja with me to give me something to do in my spare time.  My son is away from home on a work assignment right now.  He is a lefty so he may have bought the reel because of it being a lefty.  I have seen a few left-handed reels, but I am sure this left the factory as a righthanded 113h.
Tom

jeff smith

Tom,
I have left handed U.S.A built 113h reels and i think the only parts that you'll find that are different from righties are the main and pinion gears,and the gear sleeve and sometimes the star wheel.Mine both have paper 'LH' stickers on the side plate but these would soon wear off.The side plates (viewed from outside) look identical, and the reel just looks like its been turned around 180 degrees.My drags however still work clockwise to tighten so still use a LH star drag. Bit strange but not really a problem as I'm used to it.I suppose they must have made two different LH gear sleeves, one with left hand thread, one with right because in the kit below you replace the sra wheel as well.
Jeff

More info can be found here https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/113ConvertingLH.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

George4741

Tom,
I'm confused.  In your first post you said the star turns ccw to tighten the drag.  I believe this is correct for a true lefty.  Then in your second post you said with the handle on the right side, the star operates and tightens in the normal "expected" way.  The normal "expected" way is clockwise for a right-handed reel. 

Can you please clarify this, or am I misreading you?

Thank you,
George

viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: jeff smith on April 07, 2013, 09:54:34 PM
Tom,
I have left handed U.S.A built 113h reels and i think the only parts that you'll find that are different from righties are the main and pinion gears,and the gear sleeve and sometimes the star wheel.

The handle side sideplate is also different.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TomT

Quote from: George4741 on April 07, 2013, 11:43:53 PM
Tom,
I'm confused.  In your first post you said the star turns ccw to tighten the drag.  I believe this is correct for a true lefty.  Then in your second post you said with the handle on the right side, the star operates and tightens in the normal "expected" way.  The normal "expected" way is clockwise for a right-handed reel.  

Can you please clarify this, or am I misreading you?

Thank you,
George

George, I am saying it as I understand it, but I am probably not clear enough.  If the handle is on the right side of the reel (as it appears it should be), the drag tightens by turning the star cw.  If the handle is on the left side the drag tightens by turning the star ccw. The only way this reel will wind in the line is if the handle is on the left side.  I have never really operated a left handed reel, so this may be normal for a lefty. ??
Tom

Keta

Your reel appearers to be either a factory LH reel or a reel converted to LH.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain