113h pinion gear

Started by basto, April 07, 2013, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I bought a 113h a couple days ago. It is probably the most recent USA made  half frame model that was made.
I was surprised to find a very good main gear which showed no signs of wear but had obviously been there a while.
The pinion was very crusty and rusted except for the round ring which supports one end of it. The ring was shinny and silver coloured.

Now what I can`t understand is why the pinion gear was so corroded when it is supposed to be stainless steel, isn`t it?, and if it is ss, then why did the band around it not corrode also?????

cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

This is a pic of the pinion gear, hopefully.

Bryan Young

I saw a few of those rusted pinion gears, but never in a 113H.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Looking at the wear on the gear teeth, it wasn't new, but still the rust is baffling. Any other signs someone was inside the reel before you got it? I'm thinking switcheroo somewhere along the way from assembly line to delivery into your hands. :-\ ??? :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

basto

The only thing that did not show signs of a lot of use and corrosion was the main gear. Maybe it was the part that was switched???

Norcal Pescador

Generally it is best to replace gears as a set. If the main gear shows no or very little evidence of wear and the yoke is not corroded, you should be able to just get a new pinion. If the corrosion is heavy on any part it's best to replace those. The last thing you want with a good hookup is a catastrophic failure. :(
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

basto

The new pinion is already on order, along with a few other parts. Thanks for your replies.