Who has made their own line-winder station?

Started by Joel.B, April 07, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I want to make my own line winder. I want to either use a drill to run it or a small motor. I want to be able to add/remove line with big or small spools. If anyone has any tips, pics or ideas  i'd love to hear/see them.

Thanks

conchydong

I thought about it but by the time you buy all the required parts, it might just be easier to purchase the one made by Gary Sato. Cal Sheets even makes a tensioner for the Sato line winder for winding on Spectra with a lot of tension. Still a lot cheaper than a heavy duty Triangle line winder.

john2244

Hello Joel,

I am going to put line on an Accurate ATD 50T in a few days and will take some pics of what me and a friend made.  I really only set it up for big reels but it may give you some ideas.

John

Nuvole

I thought of making one myself a while ago, but was stuck without any idea how to make a auto level-wind.

Bryan Young

I was working on making one and finally figured out that it will be cheaper to buy one. The best one that I found is made in Gardena, CA, called Pro Power Winder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ahi5150

Hi John! Do you have any pics of your line winder and did it work well? I have been thinking of building one.

Thank you,
Brian

ahi5150

Hello Bryan!  I must say that must have been some winder you were working for the Pro Power to be cheaper. LOL. Wish I could bbuy that one. :)  Have a great day!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I use a drill and spare spool to take it off, pack it on by hand wih two people to get it extra tight
Grayson Lanier

whalebreath

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on November 12, 2013, 02:23:53 AM
I use a drill and spare spool to take it off, pack it on by hand wih two people to get it extra tight
Yeah me too no room here for a winder-no extra money either.

ahi5150

i've been using the manual way too. i want to get more consistency with line tension. more importantly, trying steer clear of the dirty looks from family holding the spool. :D

johnachak

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on November 12, 2013, 02:23:53 AM

Then how do you get it off the spare spool? Just curious.

maxpowers

i think the best line tensioner is large penn or diawa reel 9/0 or so.  you can mount it on a solid round wooden rod and spool lines on and off to your heart's content.  20 lbs of drag is more than plenty to pack the braid.  another nice thing about using a 9/0 or diawa is you can double it as a line washing / drying tool.

kenwahoo

I was going to make a manual one then I started to use my cordless drill. After this I've never bothered to make the manual. My cordless has 2 speed, is reversible and I can control speed with the trigger. You can make a mount so that you're hands free. Use nuts and bolts of appropriate size to mount line spool so that there's about 1 inch of bolt to stick in the drill. Very fast. As for reel spool leave it on the reel and you can mount a reel seat to stick the reel on