Saltist LW30HA - Need longer handle

Started by Tuffecs, April 08, 2013, 01:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuffecs

Used my new reel a couple times and really like it.  But I'd like to put on a longer handle.  Is there a longer one I can put on?  How do I get one?  The stock handle has two round holes between the shaft hole and the counterweight.  So I can't really shift the shaft over to a hole for better torque.  Thanks

mhc

The 40HA handles have two shaft holes, the shorter one is approx 5mm longer than the 30HA handle and the second is approx 20mm longer than the 30 HA. The 40HA handles are not counter-balanced like the 20 and 30 size reel handles are - I'm not sure if that would cause a problem, but I doubt it.
regards, Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tuffecs

I don't think the non-counterbalanced handle should be a problem too.  Looks like I'll order the 40HA handle, assuming the shaft holes (30HA and 40 HA) are identical.  Thanks for info, Michael.

Tuffecs

New handle is $30-$40.

Any issue with modifying the stock handle?  Am thinking of cutting off the counterweight, then shape (using a file) the right hole size for the shaft.  I then tap a small hole next to the newly shaped hole for the screw.