PENN SENATOR 12/0 DRAG ISSUES

Started by FishyRichy, April 08, 2013, 09:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishyRichy

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and eager to get this problem solved before my next trip. I purchased a used 12/0 senator ( i believe it to be an older model), and was told it had been serviced recently. I took it out for the first time ( land based shark fishing) and I had a strange issue with the drag. I was reeling in to change my bait, (reeling a 14 oz spider weight) and the star on he drag would turn with the handle every 10-20 revolutions causing the drag to loosen. This is not the case with any other senator I own or have used, and I am curious as to what you recommend to solve this problem. The last thing I need is to have to stop and tighten the drag while im gaing ground on a big shark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Bryan Young

Hi Richy,

Welcome.  If you have the reel apart, you may want to look at the drags stack  The last metal washer needs to be a keyed washer (center hole looks like a double D back to back or oval with two flat sides).  there's nothing else that should be causing the problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Sounds like the issue is as you stated above, a drag issue.
Check the drag stack, you don't need to have the reel apart to do so, just remove the handle and star and the drags will come right out.
It is a good idea to replace the older washers with the HT100's. Scott sales them as kits...fiber and metal washers together.
Here is a shot on how the drags should go, not a great picture, but it should give you an idea.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6086.msg50954#msg50954
Sal

I just realized that I'm showing the 14/0 and you have the 12/0. Not a problem, the configuration is the same, yours also has a spacer at the very top. I have a few 12/0's and 10/0's, I don't use that spacer on all, some are just fine without it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, i'll bet the metal washers are out of order.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FishyRichy

Thanks for the info guys! I will take the handle off tonight and look at the drag washers. I was thinking about putting the HT-100's in anyway, so I will get them ordered today. I will let you know how it works once I have them replaced. Thanks again!

FishyRichy

Well, I took the handle off, and I couldn't even see the first washer cause there was so much grease. It already has the HT-100 washers, and they were stacked correctly. I got rid of some of the grease, and I couldnt recreate the problem, any chance too much grease could cause that malfunction? How mush grease should you put in the drag? Im not sure if I took out too much, and I dont want to have it lock up on me...
Thanks,
Richard

Bryan Young

Richard, all you need is a good, light coating.  All excess will be squeezed out of the stack when pressure is applied.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Rich, If you fish for Shark with these senators. You really need to break them open and really go through them to make sure they are right.
I have rebuilt probably a dozen or so all the way from 3/0's to the 16/0.
I knew nothing until I joined this website. These guys know their stuff on senators. ;D
Life is Good!

UKChris

That's good advice - and having taken it myself I found most, not all but most, of the Senators I had bought had been put back together wrongly by someone (not me, honest). Almost always the drag components were out of sequence. Same thing with other reels too - seems not everyone knows about the great guys here and the information they hand out so freely  ;D

Chris

Alto Mare

I can't believe how many Penn guys are out there. I should have kept my mouth shot, now I have way more competiton on ebay ::) ;D.
I'm actually glad  that I'm not the only one that likes these reels that have been around for over 75 years. Way to go guys. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FishyRichy

Well, I am back again, and unfortunately I had the same issue on my last trip. I took it apart and compared it to the parts diagram, and it turn out I am missing the keyed Metal washer that goes on top of the drag stack....no wonder...so I ordered everything from ereplacment and hopefully it does the trick.

saltydog

Hey Penn reels are my favorite too.I have faith in mine and have caught tons of fish on them.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Amen to That!
I am not about to spend 8 hundred Dollars for a top of the line Avet reel when a penn 14/0 in top shape can muscle in the biggest of fish, HANDS DOWN! I am not the Shark Fisherman I want to be yet, but I will divide and conquer with nothing but penn senators!
When I saw a 7' Fat Bull caught with a 4/0 with 100 lb Braid. There is nothing better. I just wish I could have hooked up with a nice fish of my own on my 12/0 with 130 lb mono.
Awe Inspiring!
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Richy,
Are you ordering your parts from scotts bt? Their drag stacks and washers come with great pictures as the order they go in. Don't get frustrated. I probably took my first 12/0 apart 10 times before I figured out what I was doing wrong. Patience is a virtue that will be well deserved when you figure it out. Good Luck my Friend!
Life is Good!