Need to remove/replace clicker/button on old 500

Started by Joel.B, April 09, 2013, 08:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I see 35-60 clicker tongue and 36-60h button on MysticParts but I dont know how they attach

Is there a clip?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

RowdyW

Hi Joel, dremel off the old click button with a grind stone & peen a new one in place over a block of wood. This type doesn't use a clip.               Rudy

Alto Mare

Good advice from Rudy.
I just want to mention to use soft wood,  something like pine...not oak or maple. It is also a good idea to place a rag over the piece of wood.
The clicker is very soft, small blows with the hammer will get it done.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

Ooohhhhh I  seeee

So the replacement jobbers are made to be peened?

The other reels I have done had the c-clip option, I assumed the Jigmaster would too

Thanks very much guys. 

Alto Mare

I'm sure you could do the same on the jigmasters, but you would need to rig something up. I know that you're good with tools, so here is your chance to shine ;) ;D

Lee, can you make us some clicker buttons and tongues out of stainless so we could use the c-clip on those?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

113h clicker is huuuuge- and post is a little long but I have one I can shorten up and then cut a groove into for the clip.  Maybe OVERSIZE clicker buttons will be the new thing......

bluefish69

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 11, 2013, 05:11:58 AM
Good advice from Rudy.
I just want to mention to use soft wood,  something like pine...not oak or maple. It is also a good idea to place a rag over the piece of wood.
The clicker is very soft, small blows with the hammer will get it done.

I just saw your post after I got the 3# Lump Hammer & 3/4 X 12 Bull Point to peen over the button.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.