Hilo

Started by lawaia, April 10, 2013, 02:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawaia

Recently travelled from my home island of Oahu to the city of Hilo on the island of Hawaii, the Big Island as we locals call it.  Hilo is usually rainy but we had a clear day where we could even see the observatories atop 13,796 foot tall Mauna Kea.  Thought you all might enjoy a few photos to share some of the view.

The view of Mauna Kea from our hotel room on the shore of Hilo Bay.

Mauna Kea means white mountain and was so named because it's often snow capped.  You can see patches of snow in the photo.

What's there to do on a clear calm day?  Why, go fishing of course!

Or just get a workout on a stand-up paddleboard with a friend.

Or get a bunch of friends and go sailing.  Watch out for the one-man outrigger canoes!

But if you're a kid and don't have a board or boat, you can still have a blast with friends just jumping into the ocean off the highest thing available.

Aloha,
lawaia

doradoben

Lawaia, mahalo for the photos..

Bryan Young

Mahalo Lawaia.  Brings back great memories...except you got clear weather. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

HOLEINTHEWATER

GOT TO GO THERE SOME DAY. THANKS.

smnaguwa

Mahalo, mahalo. My daughter lives there now. Did you do any fishing? South Point, Puna? --former kamaaina.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Makule

Whoever comes to Hilo, be sure to let me know when.  We can visit and maybe even go "holo holo".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

no way you're gettin' me to jump from the top!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lawaia

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 10, 2013, 06:18:13 AM
Mahalo Lawaia.  Brings back great memories...except you got clear weather. :)
Your memory of Hilo is right on, Bryan, 'cause later that same day it clouded over and rained!

Quote from: smnaguwa on April 10, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
Mahalo, mahalo. My daughter lives there now. Did you do any fishing? South Point, Puna? --former kamaaina.
We were there for a volleyball tournament so didn't get to fish, just spent most of our time in or travelling to various gyms around town.  We did stop at the boat ramp mauka of the old Suisan auction house to check out the action but it was pretty quiet.  Sure wish the ENGOs hadn't got the Superferry shut down; had been looking forward to the day when we might've trailered our own boat onto the ferry to Kona.  Maybe next time gotta make arrangements with Makule.

Quote from: alantani on April 11, 2013, 03:06:49 AM
no way you're gettin' me to jump from the top!  ;D
I think that's an age thing, Alan. :D  50 years ago when Honolulu had a saltwater pool with a multi-tiered tower, we (then) teenagers considered it a point of pride to go off the highest tier, some 20 feet if memory serves, but now a doddering senior citizen, I'm with you - no way!

Aloha.

smnaguwa

You jump from the 10 meter platform at the Natatorium in Waikiki? When I was a kid, I jumped from the 3 meter(?) platform, I split my shorts. Had to swim to the side hold the shorts! Good times in old Hawaii!

Makule

Do a search on jumping off the cliffs at South Point.  Lots of people do that, but not me.  Jumping off is the easy part, it's climbing back up the swinging ladder that's hard (I tried it).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.