New member & need some reel suggestions please

Started by ThomasPI, April 11, 2013, 12:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks. I did some local research on a board I frequent. A VAST majority of folks use the TLD15 from Shimano so I researched that and the respective line capacities. Then I went back to the Charter Special which will give me BOTH the Levelwind and Leverdrive drag which is the ideal. The Charter Special TR2000 would give me a line capacity which more closely resembles the TLD15. I'm thinking if I picked up a couple of these reels and then make the change to a carbon fiber drag washer and a bigger handle & grip which Alan has available, I'd have a set of winners with a respectable line capacity and then ability to tackle most anything we'd catch locally.

Thoughts ?

Keta

SmoOoth Drag has Carbontex CF drag washers.   The reels are easy to service.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

That would be my recommendation. Strong 50#/65# spectra backed reel with good 14# drag with carbontex drag washers. Handle is also a great improvement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ThomasPI

Thanks Bryan, most likely the way I'll go and I'll basically have a TLD15 but with levelwind. Drag upgrade should be equal to the TLD15 and we'll be good to go and NO head aches.
The larger reel size will also balance these rods a bit better. It's either going this route OR forget the levelwind feature and go right to the TLD15. However, knowing the wife that would be a BIG mistake and having TWO of these would take care of any trips with a guest with little to no experience.

ThomasPI

Bryan, sent you a PM on reels etc. Also, cannot download that reel service form as noted.

Keta

The reels I have at the shop are the TR2000LD, the same width as a Jigmaster 500 but a little smaller in diameter.  If you like wide reels (I don't) they will be ok but I wouldn't feel handycaped with almost 400yds of 60lb Spectra on a TR1000LD.  22lbs at strike and 33lbs at full is impressive.

Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks, approximately what is the physical width?  Do you know the width of the 1000 ? A good point!

Keta

I'll measure the 2000 tomorrow, I don't know about the 1000.

Mark Twain

coonhound

I fish that same area.... Just curious why you prefer a LD for bottom fishing?  I like setting my drag and leaving it, especially with gags and red grouper that need to be given little opportunity to duck down in the limestone.  Having to drop the LD to free spool and then reset for each drop gets tiresome.

I have the Penn Fathoms and find them to be great.  I don't have the levelwind versions, but they have similar construction.

My set up:  Penn Fathom 25N with 80# Depth Hunter (no need for a line counter) with a 6' Fluoro leader.  This is on a 6'6 Penn Torque Jigging Rod.

Keta

The TR2000LD is 2-3/4" diameter 3-1/2" wide.

Quote from: coonhound on April 12, 2013, 04:02:20 PM

My set up:  Penn Fathom 25N with 80# Depth Hunter (no need for a line counter) with a 6' Fluoro leader. 

Good reel.

Mark Twain