5-500 Hex Adapter

Started by Keta, April 11, 2013, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I had some time so I drew up a hex adapter for Jigmaster drag stacks and they were cut today.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

How Much?!!

Really, really cool.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I have to see if they will work first.  I have one drawn for 5-60 gears too.  For some reason when I made a suggested change to octogon my change didn't save, the 5-60 and 5-500 drawings now are octogon.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Lee, that insert looks great. Are you planning to do one for the 113h? Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Lee, freaking awesome!!! Can we order? I know you need to test...but if it's a go, how much? And how soon? That is a thing of beauty.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on April 12, 2013, 12:47:15 AM
Lee, freaking awesome!!! Can we order? I know you need to test...but if it's a go, how much? And how soon? That is a thing of beauty.
Bob

They take up more material than the dogs and I'll have to price it before I set the price.  I'll try to get them moving as fast as possable.

Quote from: Cone on April 12, 2013, 12:39:47 AM
Lee, that insert looks great. Are you planning to do one for the 113h? Bob

Yes, I did the first one to use in my 112HN but I plan on making them for 5-113H 5-349, 5-349H and 5-60 gears.  I want them in my Surfmasters next.

Mark Twain

BMITCH

Thanks lee, please keep us updated. Looks really nice. Great work.
Bob

Ron Jones

I see 5-60 in a grouper special real soon.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jigmaster501

I am looking at this trying to figure a few things out.

In the original, the keyed METAL washer would engage in the main gear for pressure against the drag washers.

If I am right, the main gear would be pressuring against the hexagonal shape of the FIBER washers.

How does this design increase drag performance?

and

How much additional drag pressure can be applied over the original drag set up?

I have to say that this is really nice machining work though.

Keta

Quote from: jigmaster501 on April 12, 2013, 04:03:50 PM
I am looking at this trying to figure a few things out.

In the original, the keyed METAL washer would engage in the main gear for pressure against the drag washers.

If I am right, the main gear would be pressuring against the hexagonal shape of the FIBER washers.

How does this design increase drag performance?

and

How much additional drag pressure can be applied over the original drag set up?

I have to say that this is really nice machining work though.

With the original drag stack the CF washer floats but only 1 metal washer "works" or 1/2 of each if CF washer is turning.  The hex holds the CF washer and the metal washers all work.  All metal washers are keyed and move with the gear sleeve, all CF washers move with the gear.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Nice work Lee.  Looking forward to the test results.
John

Keta

Sal suggested thinning it down and I talked to the cutter, they said no problem.  A octogon with thinner walls has been drawn.

Mark Twain

BMITCH

The octagon is better? Not sure why. This looks like a NICE upgrade. I'm going to order flat carbon sheets from dawn. Do you know which ones? Any help would be great.

Bob

Alto Mare

Bob, we are at the beginning with this, we need to do so tests and see if it will work.
To me the octagonal shape seems to be a better choice than the hexagonal and we already know that it is working nicely in the SS spinners.
With the octagonal shape, we would gain more surface area for the drags. The down side is that the angle is not as sharp as the hexagonal shape....small price to pay for gaining two additional angles. We'll see how that goes :-\

Here is an idea on what I'm talking about. this is not scale, just an idea to visualize

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.