Salty Stage -- Which for Distance???

Started by A. Bentsen, January 24, 2010, 02:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A. Bentsen

Hi Alan, and thanks for the great site.  I rebuilt a bunch of reels from your tutorials and greatly improved a few new ones, too.  I have no idea how you get such good close up pictures of tiny reel pieces!!!????

I am about to get a Salty Stage Revo (which I guess is a new series of Revos in Japan).  I am looking to get this reel mainly for distance casting with mostly lighter weight rigs 90% of the time 1.5oz, 10% of the time up to 4 or maybe 5oz,using 20lb test spectra.  I like the looks and line capacity of the LJ3.  But something tells me the LJ1 will cast further.  I have no idea why I think that.  I think its because of the way the handles look.  I like the faster retreive, but 9 or 10" either way will not make too much difference for my purposes.  The LJ1 has a shallow spool and holds less line.  The LJ3 has a deeper spool and obviously has more line capacity.  They also have different brakes. 

Just from looking at the design -- Which would you say is best for distance?  ??? ??? ???

Here are 2 links:

Link 1

Link 2

Please do not feel obligated to watch the whole 10 minute video!!!!!

Thanks,
Alex

alantani

i am the world's worst caster!!!!!!!!!!

that being said, in general the spool with the lower overall mass will cast farther.  just looking at the two, though, i would pick the reel with the double paddle handle.  better balance.......  good luck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!