replace slotted side plate screws with hex screws?

Started by Mandelstam, April 12, 2013, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I've just started fiddling with an old 113H. The overall condition is fine but the slotted screws are pretty messed up. You can still screw them in and out but I guess it's just a question of time before the slots are too worn. That got me thinking if you couldn't use a hex socket screw instead? Maybe even in SS. Good or bad idea? The screws are going into a Tiburon frame.

Anyone know what kind of threads are used for the 113H side plate screws? As we use metric threads here in Sweden I have to do some online shopping probably.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Robert Janssen

Sifvert Skruv, Lindhagensgatan 53 i Stockholm.
Sorry, i used to go there every week, but very seldom nowadays.

Incidentally, cylindrical head screws won't meet the försänkning in the sideplate rings very nicely; it just looks... funny. Countersunk hex screws often have a larger head than their slotted counterparts, so that won't fit very well either. I suppose if you had a lathe you could change that, but...

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 12, 2013, 02:48:49 PM

Anyone know what kind of threads are used for the 113H side plate screws? As we use metric threads here in Sweden I have to do some online shopping probably.

/Karl

5-40 UNC.
Anyone know a source other than Penn for these csk head machine screws in stainless steel?

Mandelstam

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 12, 2013, 03:11:46 PM
Sifvert Skruv, Lindhagensgatan 53 i Stockholm.
Sorry, i used to go there every week, but very seldom nowadays.

Incidentally, cylindrical head screws won't meet the försänkning in the sideplate rings very nicely; it just looks... funny. Countersunk hex screws often have a larger head than their slotted counterparts, so that won't fit very well either. I suppose if you had a lathe you could change that, but...

I know about Sifvert! Haven't been there as I live in Malmö. Must be an awesome place! :D

Yes, I was thinking about countersunk socket screws. Too bad the head is too big.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 12, 2013, 03:43:52 PM

/Karl

5-40 UNC.
Anyone know a source other than Penn for these csk head machine screws in stainless steel?

Thanks Tom! I'll shop around and see what I can find. If anyone know of a source pls let me know! I really hate slotted screws and would love to be able to use hex screws instead.

Robert Janssen

Mandelstam

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 16, 2013, 12:07:04 PM
Hmm... Round head would look nice.

Yea definitely!

I'm thinking of trying to get some cylindrical screws and then with a ghetto lathe (bolted down screwdriver and a file) try and create the countersinking. I've found some stainless screws that I'm about to order.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 16, 2013, 12:07:04 PM
Hmm... Round head would look nice.

Yes they would, but only on the left side plate. You wouldn't be able to move the eccentric lever, unless you find a way to keep them flush :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 16, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Yes they would, but only on the left side plate. You wouldn't be able to move the eccentric lever, unless you find a way to keep them flush :-\

See, that's why you make a post here before you go and do something stupid! Thank's for the heads up Sal, hadn't thought of that. But I'd still would like to try it out, at least for the other screws. Because the problem with the lever only applies to one screw right? I guess maybe you could keep that one original...

I think I at least have to try it out for myself, if nothing else just to get it out of my head.

VW

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 12, 2013, 04:03:46 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 12, 2013, 03:43:52 PM

/Karl

5-40 UNC.

Thanks Tom! I'll shop around and see what I can find. If anyone know of a source pls let me know! I really hate slotted screws and would love to be able to use hex screws instead.

Cannot help with the hex drive screws, but I use phillips drive screws from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=mmtkwj

They work well and look nice.

Mandelstam

Quote from: VW on May 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM
Cannot help with the hex drive screws, but I use phillips drive screws from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screw-fasteners/=mmtkwj

They work well and look nice.

Thanx for the tip! Do the 82 degree countersink fit the reel's countersink?

/Karl

BMITCH

This has been the question for some time now. All the SS screws (82* or other) I've found and or tried just dont seem to fit the rings well. If someone could come up with this screw which fit well even a Philips head would be an improvement.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Mandelstam

Quote from: BMITCH on May 06, 2013, 11:01:01 PM
This has been the question for some time now. All the SS screws (82* or other) I've found and or tried just dont seem to fit the rings well. If someone could come up with this screw which fit well even a Philips head would be an improvement.

Bob

I've measured the countersink angle on my side screws (scanned in 600dpi, drawn and measured in AutoCad) and they are 82 degrees spot on. The head is 5.25mm (0.20") wide and 3mm (0.12") high.

I'll keep searching, will give a shout if I find anything that fits.

VW

The fit is not perfect, but I do not think it is really noticeable either.  Do not have a close up pic but the 112H and 113H reels shown here have the screws in place.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5431.0

Mandelstam

Quote from: VW on May 07, 2013, 07:34:40 AM
The fit is not perfect, but I do not think it is really noticeable either.  Do not have a close up pic but the 112H and 113H reels shown here have the screws in place.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5431.0

Thanks for the pics!

I have a contact (industrial designer with full metal workshop) that I'll talk to and see if we can't think of a way to customize a cylindrical head hex screw. In my head I think that it could work and look good as well.