Jigmaster Spools

Started by Greenroom, April 12, 2013, 06:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenroom

Did Penn use several different spool lenghts for the 500? The reason I am asking is I've been hunting down old Accurate Reel conversions and have quite a few now. The problem I'm having is with one of the 500's came with a spool for a HS and didn't fit properly so replaced it with one for a standard 500. with the bearing caps cranked in I still have to much play. The spool that I put in is the same as 2 other 500's that i have and they are fine (both have full Accuplates and frames) I measured widths and all 3 reels are the same. I checked the reel mechanically and it works fine. I'm kinda lost at this point.

Norcal Pescador

One question first ...... You're not talking about a 505HS are you? Also, when it comes to aftermarket conversions, they should meet original specs for length, diameter, shaft tolerances, etc. Maybe the one Accurate frame is not right. ???

I'll stick my neck out and say that all spools for a 500, 500L, 500M and 500S are all interchangeable - none are interchangeable with a 505HS. There may be minor manufacturing differences in different runs of spools, that's why whenever I take a spool out or replace it I always back a few turns off the non-handle-side bearing and then re-tighten to tolerance.

Did that help or confuse?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

harryk3616

i had a weird problem with a 500s,  one spool from a 250 fit fine, all the other 250 and 500 spools would bind on the chrome rings. tried black aluminum, chrome, plastic and i think stainless spools  it was just weird

Greenroom

The reel had a 505HS spool in it. The guy had the bearing caps out till the o-rings were showing and the spool still wasn't centered. The 500 spool that I changed to fits just fine in the other 2 reels but not this one. I measured the frame and its the same width as the others. I guess next step will be to exchange hardwhare and see what that does. I did read something about shimming the bearings and that just might work. The reel looks like it was never fished so its a keeper, I just want to get it right.

Norcal Pescador

A 500 (and 501) should have a 26-155 handle-side bearing and a 26-60 non-handle side bearing. The non-handle side bearings don't often have numbers on them anymore but here are a couple of links to what the bearings should look like.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-155.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/40-60.aspx

The 505HS (and 506HS) have ball bearings with bearing caps.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-113H.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/40A-210.aspx

In all cases the handle-side bearing is supposed to be screwed in all the way and the slack is adjusted with the non-handle side bearing (or cap).

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Greenroom

Norcal, thanks for the input. So far more head scratching and sore fingers. I dismanteled another 500 conversion just to check and see if the parts were identical to the other (problem 500) and they were except for the drive and pinion gears. they appear to either Newells or Accurate. I can install the handle side of the other reels to the problem reel and they work fine so I know the left hand side and frame are good. I swaped bridge and gear sleeve with no luck. the machining is the same on all models so i'm thinking it could be something with gears? The spools sits fine when ingaged but when you put it in freespool is can move to the right and bind. I know it must be simple and I'm just not seeing it.

Norcal Pescador

Okay, that may help. Take the bridge out and measure the height from the bridge deck to the top of the drag washer stack of each reel. If they are not all within 1mm of each other in height, the drag stack could be rubbing on the inside of the sideplate's gear well.

A couple of things to try: If the belleville washer (8-60) is still on top of the drag washer stack, take it off and try the reel without it. If the belleville is not already in use, there is a raised ring molded into the bottom of the gear well that can be safely removed with a dremel tool. Sal (Alto Mare) has filed down taller aftermarket main gears to make them fit. He only filed off the un-toothed [is that a word?] part. Tall gears or a tall drag stack will cause the problems you're describing.

Here's a link to the trimmed gears:  
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6379.msg54179#msg54179
Rob

Bryan Young

Okay, I'm a little confused.  Are you having problems with the spool alignment or the gears rubbing on the side plate?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

:-[ I'm an idiot. :-[  Bryan, I came to this conclusion at 6:45 this morning after thinking about your reply more.
If the drag stack or main gear is too tall then the bridge screws couldn't be tightened all the way without binding. Major cerebral flatulence.

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on April 15, 2013, 05:19:42 PM
Okay, that may help. Take the bridge out and measure the height from the bridge deck to the top of the drag washer stack of each reel. If they are not all within 1mm of each other in height, the drag stack could be rubbing on the inside of the sideplate's gear well.

A couple of things to try: If the belleville washer (8-60) is still on top of the drag washer stack, take it off and try the reel without it. If the belleville is not already in use, there is a raised ring molded into the bottom of the gear well that can be safely removed with a dremel tool. Sal (Alto Mare) has filed down taller aftermarket main gears to make them fit. He only filed off the un-toothed [is that a word?] part. Tall gears or a tall drag stack will cause the problems you're describing.

Here's a link to the trimmed gears:  
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6379.msg54179#msg54179
Rob

Bryan Young

It sounds like you may need shimming washers under he bearing in the bearing cup.  I had similar problems with my ProGears.  No matter how exact you try to make things, it always seems that shimming and adjusting is needed.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

I can't speak for you guys but I always get the best ideas & solve the biggest problems in the MANS Library
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Greenroom

O.K., I had to step away from the reel for awhile. I finally found the difference in the side plate from the others. The right hand side has not had the level of machining as my other two, but only at the bearing cup. If I use a 505 spool and the shaft is seated in the bearing (with the bearing all the way out to the o-ring) it is aligned to the left exsposing a gap between the spool and sideplate. With the 500 spool I can line up the spool perfect with both bearing caps all the way in however the spool shaft is not seated in the right hand side bearing completely. So,,,, when you disingage the spool to freespool it can move to the right and bind the sideplate. Are we sure they only made two lenghts of spools for the 500's (500 and 505)? or could the sideplates be for another model? 99, 506? This one has me baffeled.

Alto Mare

The 505 spool will not work with the 500, different spool shaft. They did make two spools a 501 narrow and a 500 standard. The Surfmaster 250 spool will also work with the 500.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 29, 2013, 09:44:29 PM
The 505 spool will not work with the 500, different spool shaft. They did make two spools a 501 narrow and a 500 standard. The Surfmaster 250 spool will also work with the 500.
Also the Penn Long Beach 259 Live Bait will accept a 500 spool and vise versa.  I switched my 3 piece spool for an extra aluminum one...now what to fish for. :)

Greenroom

O.K. found the problem. The bearing caps are side specific, right and left. They both have a spindle or nub inside that contacts the spindle on the spool. The right bearing cap has a longer one inside than the left. I got lucky and found one on E-Bay and took the chance, I wish I would have taken one out of my other reels along time ago. Oh well, all is good now. Thanks for all your input and help guys.