salvaging a broken handle

Started by surfcaster, April 13, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Hi,(Disclaimer By no Means am I a proffessional I am a fisherman & repair reels as a hobby.)I recently got a 750ss that looks brand new but it is missing the handle, for the time being I came up with this....

[
I had an old 7500 handle with a broke pivot & knob

[]

Had to drill/tap the pivot replace the pivot

[]

Then I put a threaded brass rivot with a hex head machine screw, 

[]

Next I got out the torch.......
[]
[][]
Sacrificed a Perfect 349h green swirley bakelite handle. @#!!
Back to the drawing board, []
Went through the box of Misfit parts, found a busted up 113h newer handle made out of plastic.(it took well to the torch) drilled & cut the sleeve off the 113h handle & epoxied it on
[]   
[]  The End result, A handle that will do for the time being.  Tight lines, & Semper Fi Rich

Cone

Rich, It looks like that handle will be better than a stock one. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

You did some nice work Rich, actually too nice for me to tell you how much that green handle was worth ;D
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

Chaulk it up to lessons learned ,Perhaps to save someone else from ruining parts. the black handle in the pic works , but I removed way too much material to fit the newer knob.
It will soon look like the 650 blank Only a matter of time....
Next time, I will use much smaller bits ,& work my way up . It would have been cool if the green knob fit. Got a box of junk parts in the shed from other franken reel projects,
mostly before I found this site.Also have Alot of experiments that worked out good too. The older bakelite knobs do not like heat.

[]