"Interesting" Metal Quality: Chinese Abu i7000's.

Started by Ken_D, April 14, 2013, 05:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

The new Chinese 7 reels have as many crappy things going on, as they do great things going on. Take the driveshaft. (As Henny Youngman might say: please !!)  

The Chinese driveshafts wear down inside the bore causing all kinds of clearance issues. Typical bore wear is on the order of 2-3 years, (shouting)  UNLIKE THE SWEDISH DRIVESHAFTS STILL SOUND AFTER 10-15 YEARS !!!!!
And longer, if the reel's not heavily fished.

I am not a metallurgist, but visually, it's easy to see the alloy differences. the CN shafts are a brighter yellow,
compared to the SE shafts a darker yellow.

Add to this, the taller driveshaft, and the stronger drag..... the new i reels have to create extra forces on the brake plate post, causing faster wear, on the sub-standard (compared to the SE reels) alloyed driveshaft.

I'm actually ok with the quality downward shift. I get to make money, sooner, and more often, servicing the reels, much to the chagrin of the rodsters, who get to pay the freight. It's great for Purefishing as well, who no doubt has noted a driveshaft sales increase.  

Tile

This happens when there is no good grease on the gearsleeve stud. That's why I dismantle every reel that I buy and grease it with a good quality grease. I used not so good greases on my reels and saw that the grease turned from green to brown and wasn't doing its job well and that determined me to use quality stuff (Mobilgrease automotive beariggs grease).
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Quote from: Tile on April 15, 2013, 08:49:15 PM
This happens when there is no good grease on the gearsleeve stud. That's why I dismantle every reel that I buy and grease it with a good quality grease. I used not so good greases on my reels and saw that the grease turned from green to brown and wasn't doing its job well and that determined me to use quality stuff (Mobilgrease automotive beariggs grease).

I think you are right..... These Chinese i reels I see, are bought and fished by sports who just take them out of the box and fish them. Red grease still on the worm, factory grease still on the innards.

Funny thing: sports do the same thing with Swedish reels, and no discernable driveshaft wear is noted, compared to the i reels.  About the only way I can do a scientific evaluation, is to replace the driveshaft, and hope the sports comes back in a couple of years so I can check.

I am just now doing a black SE7000C, where the owner had it serviced by me 5 years ago, not a stitch of maintainence since then, and the driveshaft is original, and still ok. the black C came out, when, 1981 was it?

Tile

Or you can hire a machine shop to make replacement gearsleeves for the I series from stainless steel.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Quote from: Tile on April 15, 2013, 10:22:05 PM
Or you can hire a machine shop to make replacement gearsleeves for the I series from stainless steel.

You first.... ;D   let me know how you make out.