New toys

Started by borchcl, April 14, 2013, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borchcl

I think I just moved up to the bigger boys table. Picked up a 113H w/ silver tiburon narrow half frame and a 114H w/ black tiburon narrow full frame. Both are older reels, with drag access through the end plate. Both have steel main gears and three thick asbestos type friction washers. Both show minimal wear. Spools appear to be aftermarket and in like new condition. Upgrades are in order, but may have resistance from the home front. Years ago I tried to convince my wife that all shotguns cost $50. That really hasn't worked out that well and now she is very suspicious of my "low cost reel improvements".
Charlie

Bryan Young

The best reel improvements is a 5+1 ht-100 drag stack. You can purchase them as a kit from mysticparts.com. You will need an under gear washer for both. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the model number of the washers. These improvements cost maybe $25 total.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 14, 2013, 07:56:33 PM
The best reel improvements is a 5+1 ht-100 drag stack. You can purchase them as a kit from mysticparts.com. You will need an under gear washer for both. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the model number of the washers. These improvements cost maybe $25 total.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Even though you're always right Bryan, a correction is in order. The 5+1 is a good upgrade, but not the best ;) ;D.

You did good Charlie, the problem now is trying to hold back from upgrading those, there is so much available. ;D
Enjoy them!
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 14, 2013, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 14, 2013, 07:56:33 PM

Even though you're always right Bryan, a correction is in order. The 5+1 is a good upgrade, but not the best ;) ;D.

You did good Charlie, the problem now is trying to hold back from upgrading those, there is so much available. ;D
Enjoy them!
Sal

The upgraded 5+1 drag as Bryan recommended is the best starting place and will be a great improvement. Probably the best bang for the buck. If you hang around with Sal, you won't recognize your reels once you apply all of his modifications/improvements/upgrades, and it'll only cost you a few $1,000 bills. ;D But they'll be screaming machines.

Seriously there is a lot you can do to improve the reel besides new drags - stainless steel gear sleeve, s/s yoke and dog, double dogs, faster gears if you wish, better handle grip, to name a few.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

borchcl

Thanks for the replies. You all know it's hard to not tinker with these reels.
Charlie

Bryan Young

Hey guys, I'm concerned with his relationship with his boss to keep it "low cost!"

He didn't indicate that the  sky was the limit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

$35-$50 for a gearsleeve and a 5+1 conversionisn't too bad.  Does Alan put a SS dog in with the gearsleeves now?  If not add $6.00 for 2 and you have a "Tank"  If I make octogon inserts I'll keep the price reasonable too but they take more metal.

;D BTW, I have reels worth $25-$35 that I've got $60-$100 invested in....just do not let the Boss find out!!!!! ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on April 15, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
;D BTW, I have reels worth $25-$35 that I've got $60-$100 invested in....just do not let the Boss find out!!!!! ;D

Shhhhhh! Don't let "the bosses" hear that or we're all going to be sleeping in the backyard. :o
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

My barn isn't too bad in the summer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

Quote from: borchcl on April 14, 2013, 07:50:51 PM
I think I just moved up to the bigger boys table. Picked up a 113H w/ silver tiburon narrow half frame and a 114H w/ black tiburon narrow full frame. Both are older reels, with drag access through the end plate. Both have steel main gears and three thick asbestos type friction washers. Both show minimal wear. Spools appear to be aftermarket and in like new condition. Upgrades are in order, but may have resistance from the home front. Years ago I tried to convince my wife that all shotguns cost $50. That really hasn't worked out that well and now she is very suspicious of my "low cost reel improvements".
Charlie
Good on you!! I love those older models with the steel gears. Sal tells me the clickers can be difficult to replace, but not impossible.
I have my eye on a 114h at pesent...will be my next project...a narrow. I think I have the bug!.
The fact that they come with a bronze spool and all post frame gives me an excuse to get a new narrow kit.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n