Extendable handle idea

Started by Nuvole, April 15, 2013, 06:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

Understood that Penn Senator's handle came with two setting, long for toque and short for speed.
What if... we make an extendable handle where we can increase or decrease the length while cranking in the fish?
Will this work like a dual speed reel?   

Bryan Young

Interesting. Power to speed handle.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

G'day Nuvole,
It's a workable idea that Daiwa used on the Z40 here:

Reverse-wind a fraction to unlock and lift the handle nut, pull or push to lengthen or shorten the handle according to what's going on with the fish (there are five 'settings' on the Z40) and voila! a multi-speed reel with a single main gear... ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nuvole

So someone else have already came up with such idea.
If there's no patent issue, anyone here going to start the project making handles?

BMITCH

Nuvole, Sumo tackle had a handle that you could pull a knob out and extend the handle or have it shorter. If you interested I could dig through my stuff and send it to you. The only issues I had with them was...1- there was some handle side play(in and out) 2- pretty difficult to change settings when fighting a fish. A 2 speed reel is just plain simple to change with the push of a switch.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Nuvole

Quote from: BMITCH on April 16, 2013, 08:21:41 AM
Nuvole, Sumo tackle had a handle that you could pull a knob out and extend the handle or have it shorter. If you interested I could dig through my stuff and send it to you. The only issues I had with them was...1- there was some handle side play(in and out) 2- pretty difficult to change settings when fighting a fish. A 2 speed reel is just plain simple to change with the push of a switch.

Bob

I do have a few dual speed reel. But the pleasure to use a classic my senator to land fish is a totally different issue.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Nuvole on April 16, 2013, 05:29:47 AM
So someone else have already came up with such idea...

You might say that. A few times.

Very seldom is anything truly new. This one is from 1903. It is a nice idea though; no reason to not do it again.

BMITCH

Well if you would like it just PM your mailing address and I'll send it to you to try out.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.