Penn 209 levelwind worm problem

Started by Mandelstam, April 15, 2013, 08:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Assembled my first restoration project yesterday! Wohoo!

Anyway, discovered a little problem with the old 209. When the levelwind travels over a specific part of the worm the handle gets a bit heavier to turn. And during free spool, when turning the spool by hand the same thing happens at the same part of the worm. I couldn't see any damage or anything to the worm when i assembled it. The pawl looked ok (used the spare pawl from the side plate). Everything is oiled and greased up nicely.

Could the problem be with the worm gears?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Tile

Check the worm shaft with a magnifier and also check the levelwind gears for damage. If the worm shaft has a slight burr you can remove it with a needle file.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

harryk3616

Quote from: Tile on April 15, 2013, 08:57:23 PM
Check the worm shaft with a magnifier and also check the levelwind gears for damage. If the worm shaft has a slight burr you can remove it with a needle file.

harryk3616

good  evening       chances are the worm gear is fine. allot of times the problem lies in the nylon gear in the clicker side plate.  remove the side plate and inspect the gear, there could be a tooth missing or a piece of dirt wedged between one of the teeth. gently rotate the nylon gear with a tiny screwdriver and see if it turns completely around, or if it binds in a certain location.  hope this helps.   harryk