Snap locks that fit soft bait jig heads?

Started by Mandelstam, April 16, 2013, 04:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I'm tired of cutting line and make new knots whenever I want to change soft baits when I'm jigging for cod. I'm mostly using around 2-3oz heads and their eyes are so small that I have trouble finding any good snap locks that will pass through them. The problem is the little hook on the end of the lock.

How do you guys change bigger soft baits quickly between drops? I have a little idea of attaching a small length of wire from the eye and in the other end have a loop or a split ring and then attach the snap lock to that. In my mind that also makes it harder for the fish to use the lure as a lever and open the snap lock.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

jlezama

Hello there
                Usually I keep an assortment of snaps (SAMPO snaps) so I have never had that problem, and when in trouble I try "opening" the eye a bit (usually clogged with paint primer if using painted heads).
I think I change softbaits way too often, because we fish at relatively shallow water (sometimes less than 30 ft), so you might only need to stick to one set of color if you are fishing deep ;)

I am thinking that a solution to avoid the "bent" at the end of the snaps (assuming we are talking about the same thing) is to get them from regular barrel swivels, sacrificing the swivel for the snap.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=702101
I don't know if making a loop connection might be beneficial for the bait and hook setup, I myself stick to the direct snap connection
take care
Juan

Mandelstam

Yes, it's the small hook or "bent" part on the snap that's impossible to pass through the eyes for the most part. Some jig heads are better than other though..

I also fish mostly in shallow water and change baits maybe way too often but I can't help it! :)

The problem is that I'd like to have a very strong and secure snap and that usually mean that it has the little hook on the end. Sometimes even more elaborate locks.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

jlezama

Have you tried duo lock swivels? it might help the the "hook" is facing outwards and the bend is not a semiclosed loop
http://www.sampoinc.com/sa_spr_duolock.htm
http://www.teamamericatackle.com/id47.html (see fifth pic on link)
But it will depend what you have access on in Sweden (I dont know if SAMPO deals there).
I sometimes overkill on the swivel rating, which comes with heavy duty snaps, and is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion (So I am stopping doing that). In this case it might be also helpful to see if you can see the regular snaps (non coast lock or similar) and line/leader test rating would cover your needs. 
I have seen guys getting the biggest fish with regular snaps without any problem ;)
Also it sounds like a rainy-day thing to do to exercise your swimbait inserts (most I have seen made of brass) to open up the hole; not over killing as you might weaken the brass.
Hope this helps
Juan

Mandelstam

Quote from: jlezama on April 16, 2013, 08:39:41 PM
Have you tried duo lock swivels? it might help the the "hook" is facing outwards and the bend is not a semiclosed loop
http://www.sampoinc.com/sa_spr_duolock.htm
http://www.teamamericatackle.com/id47.html (see fifth pic on link)
But it will depend what you have access on in Sweden (I dont know if SAMPO deals there).
I sometimes overkill on the swivel rating, which comes with heavy duty snaps, and is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion (So I am stopping doing that). In this case it might be also helpful to see if you can see the regular snaps (non coast lock or similar) and line/leader test rating would cover your needs. 
I have seen guys getting the biggest fish with regular snaps without any problem ;)
Also it sounds like a rainy-day thing to do to exercise your swimbait inserts (most I have seen made of brass) to open up the hole; not over killing as you might weaken the brass.
Hope this helps
Juan

Good tip about the sampo snaps. I haven't seen them in any shop here but I guess there's always flea bay. They look like they might be easier to fit.

I might try to add some wire loops to some heads just to try it out.

Thanks for the help brother!

/Karl

jlezama

No problem Karl, let me know how the loop goes. I am planning to make a similar connection but to a treble (crimp) to make a "treble trailer hoochie" and then connect it to a diamond jig. Similar concept having a snap split ring swivel connection. That is the reason I was interested in potential hookup problems due to the loop.
Tight lines!
Thanks!
Juan

Ron Jones

So your gonna run two trebles behind a diamond jig, 1 a couple inches behind the other? I've seen that before. Seemed to work well provided you weren't any where that you could snag the bottom.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jlezama

Nope, just one treble so the hook is just around the hoochie tentacles... or possibly a tandem rig, need to think about it. Lets see how it works; I just have seen so many rock cod spitting octopi las season that I though this could resemble one fleeing.
Juan

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 16, 2013, 04:30:02 PM
I'm tired of cutting line and make new knots whenever I want to change soft baits when I'm jigging for cod. I'm mostly using around 2-3oz heads and their eyes are so small that I have trouble finding any good snap locks that will pass through them. The problem is the little hook on the end of the lock.

How do you guys change bigger soft baits quickly between drops? I have a little idea of attaching a small length of wire from the eye and in the other end have a loop or a split ring and then attach the snap lock to that. In my mind that also makes it harder for the fish to use the lure as a lever and open the snap lock.

Have you looked at the Rosco/McMahon scissor type snaps? I'm not sure of their wire diameter on the different size snaps but they would make for quick jig/lure changes.

Bryan Young

We used to take a length of malin wire (SS solid fishing wire) and haywire twist to the lure then anothe haywire twist at the other end to attach the fishing line to catch kaku. Oh what is the English word for kaku.  Oh yeas, barracuda.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Had a few minutes over when my son had his nap. Will see how it works out.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jlezama

Karl
       looks good, its very similar to what I was thinking for the trebles.  let me know how it goes!
Juan

day0ne

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 17, 2013, 02:10:55 PM
Had a few minutes over when my son had his nap. Will see how it works out.

That will work as would a small welded ring or possibly a split ring, though they are weak. One comment. You need a new set of crimpers. It appears that you are using a set of "point to cup" crimpers and IMO, they should all be thrown overboard. Get your self a set of "cup to cup" crimpers. The crimps are much stronger. Some interesting reading here:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter