114H

Started by snowgoose200, April 17, 2013, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowgoose200

I have a 114H.
It has been used for several years as a wireline trolling reel.
I want to switch it to Spectra and add a Fishwinch drive for use as a deepdrop reel

What parts should I get to rebuild it?
It hasn't been serviced in several years but seems to work fine.
I assume drag washers? And SS gears?  An aluminum frame?
Dog spring? A sideplate for double dogs? Grease?

Where do I buy these parts?

Thanks

alantani

first, don't spend money if you don't have to.  if the top of the gear sleeve is not rounded off and if the gears themselves do not rumble, then you've to 99% of it right there.  add a #6-114 penn ht-100 drag washer under the main gear, grease all the drag washers with cal's grease, add grease to all the screws, oil the bearings and go fish.  if the gear sleeve and/or gears are damaged, you might be looking at more money than the reel is worth.  lastly, check out the handle grips from me or dawn at smoothdrag.com.  oh, and take pictures!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

If you ask me, all of the above. You won't find a better dependable reel when you're done.
Alan does have a point, it's not cheap :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 17, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
If you ask me, all of the above. You won't find a better dependable reel when you're done.

But you end up with a better real that you built yourself.  I wish Tib made a 114HNN frame though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on April 17, 2013, 09:00:13 PM

I wish Tib made a 114HNN frame though.

That would be nice!  Basically a heavy duty 349 Mariner.
viurem lliures o morirem

Joel.B

But you end up with a better real that you built yourself.  I wish Tib made a 114HNN frame though.

Is there an existing spool that would work with that frame? Or would Tib need to make that too?

George4741

Quote from: Joel.B on April 18, 2013, 04:52:59 AM

Is there an existing spool that would work with that frame? Or would Tib need to make that too?

None available. Tib would have to make the spool, too.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

The 114H is a much stouter reel with a larger spool shaft diameter.  The 349 shaft is the same diameter as the 113H. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on April 18, 2013, 05:24:03 AM
The 114H is a much stouter reel with a larger spool shaft diameter.  The 349 shaft is the same diameter as the 113H.  
As me and you talked about it before, the spool shaft is not the only thing beefier on that reel.

Every part is 25% or more larger/stronger.  Although I love the 349 the 114H is a much stronger reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.