Trying to line things up

Started by Tunny, April 17, 2013, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunny

Hello all,
After putting line (Spiderwire Stealth) on my older Penn 550 SS, I noticed that the line does not lie level.  As braid is already quite unforgiving,  this causes me some concern.  I was told by an acquaintance that these older reels were designed for monofilament and wouldn't function well with braid.  I can't see why braid would lay on the spool any differently than mono and am wondering if a spacer went missing after last cleaning/lubeing.  Any input is appreciated.     Rob

Bryan Young

The best way to line spinners is with a machine where the line is going right on the spool and not through the roller because you can lay it flatter and without the twisting of the braid, which can weaken the braid.  Once you get a good flat base, the remaining top layers will lay flatter.

If line if bunching up at the top or bottom, then it's a spacer issue beneath the spool.

I have braid on most of my reels (except my ultralights which as 2# and 4# mono) and no problems thus far.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BogueSounder

Tunny,
Yes, what Bryan said...

I have several 550's with braid that I have spooled myself with no problems using a cheap spooler.

Make sure you have #60-550 thrust washer in place. Stock is teflon, many replace with carbon fiber.  If that was missing, I think you could have an uneven lay. Also, this will sound stupid...but make sure the spool is totally on the shaft. Sometimes when I upgrade the drag washers, I have to wiggle and jiggle the spool to the metal drag washers to line up perfectly on the shaft. If the spool wasn't all the way on and you respooled, it could be off for sure.

Can't think of anything else obvious at the moment. Take the braid off to another reel, and reload.  

PS: soaking a spool of braid in water prior to spooling is supposed to help with line twist and even lay on spinners. Think that was mentioned recently in an article in saltwater sportsman? I could be making the reference up...read too much fishing literature.

Mark

Tunny

Thrust washer is there.  I did spool the reel by cranking the handle so looks like Bryans method is the way to go.  On another topic;  when a new drag stack is purchased, is the order of assembly indicated?  Also can one assess the condition of drag washers visually and do all types of drag washers benefit from drag grease?  Thanks guys!

BogueSounder

Tunny
The easiest way to always be sure of drag arrangement, or any part for that matter, is to just check the schematic:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/550ss.pdf

More than likely, the drag washers on your 550 are old and probably not giving you the same amount of drag that new c.f. washers would be. Additionally, they probably aren't releasing line as smoothly as greased c.f.

HT Washers at Scotts (#56-710) are $1.00 each + shipping, you are probably ok using the existing metal washers if you are trying to get out on the cheap.

here is a pic of the drag stack:

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

If you want that reel to run smoother, try this:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6597.msg56103#msg56103
this is not a 550ss, but the configuration is the same.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BogueSounder

Sal,
I still haven't gotten around to trying that yet. On my list.

Interesting to consider doing it to the 450 & 550 ss (and the smaller 700 series reels that use the same washers...710, 711 etc). These reels have tiny drag washers, and could use all the help they could get in that dept. As you well know, they lack the extra dog of the 650 on up so I wonder if that could set you up for potential failure if you approximately doubled the drag?  That said, the frames and guts are super tough and I believe could handle the extra drag your configuration shows. The 450, 550, 650 are always with me on the water, great reels.

For Tunny's clarity, wouldn't the bottom octagonal washer shown in your 650 photo be omitted in the 550 setup? Per stock schematic.

Mark

PS: Sal, thanks again for sending me those pics of the 100 mag'd sideplate. Very helpful.

Alto Mare

Mark, I'm having a different view with what we've been experimenting with. I always thought that increasing drags would put more stress on the reel, I'm not so sure anymore. We've been using something similar to the Penn versa drag. We could have slots, hexagon, octagon, diamond, oval, it's all the same concept as long as you keep the fiber washers stationary. Using this new layout makes the reel work much smoother with less effort at higher setting. I actually believe it creates less stress on the reel :-\. Have I lost it Doc?
By the way Mark, is that you on your avatar?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BogueSounder

Sal??? Someone crack your password?
Man...just when you thought you knew someone  ;D  Springtime is getting to you?

Seriously, some cool experimenting going on with drag manipulation. Respect to you, Doc, and others for those ongoing efforts.

Yeah, thats me in avatar. Rod to high (trying to get line over a rock), and fishing a C-made Slammer 460 to boot...sorry  :-[. Nice redfish though. It was a quick pick today, I was tired of not having one.

I have questions about your new philosophy on drag settings, but kids need to be put to bed.

Mark

Tunny

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 17, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
If you want that reel to run smoother, try this:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6597.msg56103#msg56103
this is not a 550ss, but the configuration is the same.
Where does one find sheets of the carbon fiber?  Is it easily cut? Can it be used for all drags?   As usual; one query morphs into extra projects (I love it!).  Thanks all.     Rob

BogueSounder

Rob
Here is a thread on Dawn's pricing of CF sheets:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6047.0

You should contact her directly for details. Sal used 1mm on his 650.

If you are just doing this one 550 SS and trying to keep it cheap, there is probably an existing washer that could be cut down to the octagonal. Perhaps Sal or Dawn have some input on that?

Many thanks,
Mark