Crisp, loud, clicking dog

Started by franky, April 17, 2013, 08:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I just cleaned and serviced two penn senator 9/0 reels.  One of the reels had the handle going backwards.

After all was cleaned, oiled, greased, and reassembled, I noticed that one reel had a very loud, crisp, and nice dog clicking sound as I cranked the handle....I like it!  :)

The second reel after cleaning and reassembly, I noticed that the dog was a lot quieter.  It was a lot better than before and now the handle does not go backwards. 

I changed the dog spring and used the existing dog because it looked undamaged.  The teeth on the gear sleeve also appeared to be undamaged.  I cleaned out the old grease and just coated the dog with reel-X and wiped off the excess.

I made sure that I did not apply too much grease on the bridge plate and gearsleeve, just a light coat.

What causes the dog to click very nice, clean, and loud on some reels and not so loud on others?  ??? 

Alto Mare

Quote from: franky on April 17, 2013, 08:31:44 PM

What causes the dog to click very nice, clean, and loud on some reels and not so loud on others?  ??? 
Wear.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

It has to be either the amount of grease or the strength of the spring. Some reels are loud; others not...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

If you happen to have another spring, bend it as you're setting it in place, just enough to set it in and hear that baby sing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 17, 2013, 09:21:44 PM
If you happen to have another spring, bend it as you're setting it in place, just enough to set it in and hear that baby sing.

Ah, okay.  I tried to bend it 90 degrees and then set it...I'll set the end to the sideplate first and then use a small plier to place the other end next to the dog.

Thanks Sal...

Ron Jones

I have found that the amount of torque put on the screw holding the dog in place can effect the sound also.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on April 18, 2013, 12:38:56 AM
I have found that the amount of torque put on the screw holding the dog in place can effect the sound also.
Ron
It shouldn't. If it does, it's creating friction and you don't want that. If you have one that is doing it, try sanding it down.

Mike La Franchie

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 18, 2013, 12:46:57 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on April 18, 2013, 12:38:56 AM
Ron
It shouldn't. If it does, it's creating friction and you don't want that. If you have one that is doing it, try sanding it down.
h

Sand the dog or the face of the screw head touching the dog?
I only fish on days ending with Y

Alto Mare

No Mike, nothing like that, this is something that happens every once in a while and I don't believe it's related to Franchie's little issue. Just stroke the dog on a piece of sand paper a few time and set it back in place.
You know, I had to turn my monitor upside down to see what you look like and some wires came lose ::) ;D

Makule

Franky, make sure the dog is put in correctly and not upside down.  Putting it upside down can cause the handle to go backwards and the sound to be softer too.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Ron Jones

I have found that some dogs are tight on the bolt, and some are tight between the bridge and plate, sometimes the spring is not as strong as it needs to be and sometimes their is just to much grease in the reel. To be honest, as long as it works I'd jst as soon not hear it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Not hear it!!! I thought that's why we updated to the SS dogs lee makes.lol.
luck is the residue of design.

franky

Yes, I totally love that loud crisp clicking sound.  Just like how the reel was when it was brand new out the box.  :)  

When I don't hear the loud clear clicking sound, it concerns me that the dog might not be fully engaging.  I have seen the tips of a couple of dogs that were mangled as a result.  This inturn could also result in damage to the teeth on the bottom of the gearsleeve.  This is where too much grease is not good.

Oh and yes Makule, I do check the direction of the dog by actually putting it next to the gearsleeve teeth prior to putting it onto the bridge screw, especially when its late at night and my eyes start playing games on me.   ;)

I also use very little grease or a light oil to coat the dog to ensure maximum free movement.  

Sometimes, even with all these steps, the clicking sound on some reels seem to be not as loud as others  :-\ which makes me wonder....was it this quiet when it was brand new?

There was a time when I changed out a person's bridgeplate because there was too much side-to-side play on the handle due to excess gearsleeve movement.  This also made the dog clicking sound louder.  I was thinking that maybe the teeth on the bottom of the gearsleeve was not 100% in contact with the full surface of the dog's tip when the gearsleeve is elevated higher than normal.

Gosh, if that is the case, or a symptom, than there could be a lot more bridgeplates that need to be changed out to ensure proper dog engagement.  Does this sound logical?  :-\

Bryan Young

the clicking of the dog in Penn and Newells are usually louder before I service the reels.  I normally re-grease or pack grease between the gear sleeve and the bridge plate shaft.  This dampens the sound of the clicking dog.

conversely, the Shimanos usually gets louder because I'm usually cleaning off all of the grease and crud off of the anti-reverse rachet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

If all of the above doesn't do it for you, try this:

Double your dogs and create an orchestra ;)  ;D.