Penn 286 question

Started by john2244, April 18, 2013, 02:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

Does anyone have information on a Penn Delmar 286.  I purchased one today and can't seem to find any info regarding this reel.  It is a little wider than a Delmar 285 and may be consider a 300 yds reel.  I looked in various old catalogs going back to number 14 and found nothing.  Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

George4741

Hi John,
I know they exist because I've seen two of them on the internet.  I believe they are the same width as a Longbeach 65 and probably use the same spool.  That is all I know.  Nice catch.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Thanks George.  You are right it is the same size as a Penn Longbeach 65.  I did a Google search and found some information on the reel. I think the reel I have was made in the early 40's.  The Delmar 285 is a very common reel but I have never seen or heard of a Delmar 286.  There is really nothing special about the reel other than I don't think many were made.  It is in very good condition so I added it to my collection.
John

akfish

I've found two 286s in the field, one of which had the box. They are simply a wide 285 but not many were made. It's a good piece for a Penn collection.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

a1terrier

Hi All
New member here.
I`ve been having a clear out in my garage and came across a Penn Delmar 286 (unboxed) in pretty good condition. Seems to work ok but cant get the handle to turn the spool. Any suggestions welcome.
I am a fisherman but wont ever use it so might try and sell it here in the UK. Anyone got an idea of value?
Many thanks

john2244

Depending on Condition I would value a Penn 286 from $5 to $25.  I paid $12. for mine and it was in near new condition, no box.

John

a1terrier

Thanks for reply, might take it down to my local fishing shop and see if he can sell it for mr
Any ideas why the handle wont engage with spool?
Thanks

akfish

I would value the 286, as opposed to the 285, at more than $25; it's a fairly rare reel. As for the handle/spool problem: This can be caused by lots of things so I wouldn't even guess without seeing it...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

If you're comfortable braking it down, do so and clean all your parts. sometimes that is all that is needed, that old penn grease gets pretty hard with age.....I would start from there.
I'm with Bill on the value, If it's in good shape, I would try to get $50.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

a1terrier

Thanks for replies, will give it a go